1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incircles of triangles proving a point it passes through

1. Jan 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given triangle ABC and a point X on the segment AB, one circle is inscribed inside triangle ACX and another inside BCX the two circles touch at point Y which lies on the line CX. show the inscribed circle of ABC touches AB at X

2. Relevant equations
    I suppose you could use the fact the angle bisectors of a triangle is the incenter of the incircle and circumcircle of that triangle.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far i don't have a clue, but i have drawn the diagram. See attached.
    If anyone could just get me started i'd be so grateful

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi mxl117! welcome to pf! :smile:

ok, your difficulty here is that your diagram really isn't helping …

the place you've put X, those circles should not be touching, so the whole diagram is misleading

start again with a new diagram, and this time draw the incircle of ABC first (that's easy!),

so that you know where X is, and your two small circles really do touch :wink:

4. Feb 2, 2013 #3
    ahh sorry i thought i'd done everything the description asked.
    Do you have any hints about how to start proving it? because i'm stumped, sorry :(

5. Feb 2, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi mxl117! :smile:

(i haven't solved it, but …)

i'd certainly start by drawing in a third small circle that touches the first two small circles and the remaining pair of sides of the triangle …

you now have a neat symmetric situation, with three small circles touching each other and the three sides :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook