Incircle Trig Problem: Proving a Triangle is Right-Angled | Homework Help

• Thread starter Appleton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the homework statement states that ABC is a triangle in which none of the angles is obtuse. The perpendicular AD from A to BC is produced to meet the circumcircle of the triangle at E. If D is equidistant from A and E, prove that the triangle must be right-angled. If, alternatively, the incentre of the triangle is equidistant from A and E, prove that cos B + cos C = 1.
Appleton

Homework Statement

ABC is a triangle in which none of the angles is obtuse. The perpendicular AD from A to BC is produced to meet the circumcircle of the triangle at E. If D is equidistant from A and E prove that the triangle must be right-angled. If, alternatively, the incentre of the triangle is equidistant from A and E, prove that cos B + cos C = 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that D must lie on the diameter as must B and C, so A must be 90 degrees. The second part of the question is where I am stumped. I have been trying to find an expression that constrains the incircle to be equidistant from A and E and transform that expression to the required one. I toyed with r = (a+b+c) where r is the radius of the incircle and a, b, c are sides of the triangle. However, I couldn't make any progress.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just noticed that the r = a+b+c is gibberish. Please ignore this.

Not sure how to interepret the lack of response on this; uninteresting problem?difficult problem? Breach of forum etiquette? I posted on a few other forums with a similarly limited response. It's one of the last questions in my textbook, shame to fail so tantalisingly close to the end, so if anyone could help me reach that fulfilling sense of closure that a correct answer might provide I'd be very pleased.

Sympathize, but can't offer any useful assitance, sorry. (For me they are difficult exercises -- did draw some triangles and circles, but couldn't find a route to go)

Been watching this thread, will be watching the trig identity one too. Perhaps @ehild ?

Appleton said:
Not sure how to interepret the lack of response on this; uninteresting problem?difficult problem? Breach of forum etiquette? I posted on a few other forums with a similarly limited response. It's one of the last questions in my textbook, shame to fail so tantalisingly close to the end, so if anyone could help me reach that fulfilling sense of closure that a correct answer might provide I'd be very pleased.
If you would include a diagram or sketch, that might help.

SammyS said:
If you would include a diagram or sketch, that might help.

I attach a picture for the second question (the first is solved by the OP) .

triangleincircle3.JPG

O is the centre of the incircle with radius r, Q is the centre of the circumcircle of the triangle and the quadrilateral ABEC. As AO = OE and AQ = QE both O and Q are on the bisector of AE, and the line OQ is parallel to the side BC of the triangle, so both are at distance r from the side BC. Using that the incentre is the cross section of angle bisectors and the centre of circumcircle is the cross section of side bisectors, there are some useful right triangles. If a is the side BC, I got the equations a=r(ctg(B/2)+ctg(C/2)) and a=2 r tan(A), but haven't succeeded to go much further.

I succeeded at last. :)
Eliminating r from a=r(ctg(B/2)+ctg(C/2)) and a=2 r tan(A), and using that tan(A)=-tan(B+C),
##\frac{\cos(B/2}{\sin(B/2)}+\frac{\cos(C/2}{\sin(C/2)}=-2\frac{\sin(B+C)}{\cos(B+C)}##
Bringing the LHS to common denominator, using the addition formula sin(x+y)=sin(x)cos(y)+cos(x)sin(y), the equation can be simplified with sin((B+C)/2).
##\frac{1}{\sin(B/2)sin(C/2)}=-4 \frac{\cos((B+C)/2)}{\cos(B+C)}##

Using the identities sin(x)sin(y)=0.5(cos(x-y)-cos(x+y)), cos(x)cos(y)=0.5(cos(x+y)+cos(x-y)), and cos2(x/2)=0.5(1+cos(x)), we arrive at the desired formula.
I think there must be a simpler solution!

Likes BvU

1. What is an incircle trig problem?

An incircle trig problem involves determining the angles and side lengths of a triangle by using the properties of a circle inscribed within the triangle.

2. How do you prove that a triangle is right-angled using incircle trig?

To prove that a triangle is right-angled using incircle trig, you must show that the angle opposite the longest side of the triangle is equal to 90 degrees, which is the definition of a right angle. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem or by showing that the tangent of this angle is equal to the ratio of the adjacent and opposite sides.

3. What are the key properties of an incircle in a triangle?

The key properties of an incircle in a triangle are that it is tangent to all three sides of the triangle, the points of tangency divide each side into two equal segments, and the radius of the incircle is perpendicular to the sides of the triangle.

4. How can I apply incircle trig to real-world problems?

Incircle trig can be applied to real-world problems involving triangles, such as calculating the angle of elevation or depression, determining the height of an object, or finding the distance between two points. It is also useful in fields such as engineering, architecture, and navigation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving incircle trig problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving incircle trig problems include not properly identifying the longest side of the triangle, using the wrong trigonometric ratio, and not considering the possibility of a triangle with no right angles. It is important to carefully label all angles and sides and to double-check calculations to ensure accuracy.