1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry Problem - Sum of distances

1. Jul 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ABC is a triangle with I as the centre of the incircle and K as the centre of the circumcircle (I ≠ K). d(X) is the sum of the distances from a point X inside the triangle to the three sides. Verify if d(P)=d(Q) (P and Q are points inside the triangle), the lines PQ and IK intersect perpendicularly.

2. Relevant equations
    d(X) = 3*r + f(x,φ) r is the radius of the incircle, x is the distance between X and I and φ is the angle between AB and IX.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have determined the complicated function f. Then I tried to find an connection between x,φ and y,ψ (d(X)=d(Y)) but the result was not very helpful. Another attempt was to try to find all points Y so that d(X)=d(Y). However I failed.

I do not search for a whole solution, but for good start or a theorem which could be useful.
    Thank you very much :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2015 #2
    A picture would help us see what you are trying to do here.

I expect the solution would involve the distance formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted