Including multiple areas of interest in my SoP for PhD Applications

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Phys12
Messages
351
Reaction score
42
I'm starting to write my statement of purpose for Physics and Astronomy graduate schools, but I'm not yet dead set on which field I want to specialize in. Considering this, is it ok for me to write something along the lines of, "I want to either do field 1 with professor I or do field 2 with professor 2"? Or will it inhibit my chances of acceptance into the school?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Does your research experience line up more with field 1 or 2? Or could it align well with both? Are the two fields closely related (or at least both either experimental or theoretical/computational)? Could you tie them together and say something like the following?:

While working on project ABC in group XYZ, I found that I really enjoyed (particular aspect of project), and so I look forward to undertaking similar projects under professor 1 in field 1 or professor 2 in field 2.

As a data point, I also wasn't sure what field I wanted to specialize in when I applied to graduate school. I stated my interest in everything from observational astronomy to computational HEP to experimental condensed matter physics, depending on the school. However, I did only choose one sub-field to explore in my SOP per school, though I sometimes mentioned multiple professors with whom I was interested in working.
 
Dishsoap said:
Does your research experience line up more with field 1 or 2? Or could it align well with both? Are the two fields closely related (or at least both either experimental or theoretical/computational)?
So, let me write them out explicitly since it'll be easier to communicate. I did a lot of research in HEP-ex, doing detector R&D (already published a paper, a couple more on the way with me as the corresponding author) and if I were to go to grad school and decide to do HEP, I'd probably continue doing this (my professors knows quite a few people at top schools who work closely with him). I did some research in astrophysics and am almost done writing a first author paper for it (this professor has good connections at Penn State). If I were to go to grad school for astronomy, I'd probably stop doing what I am doing with him and switch to observational cosmology instead.

Dishsoap said:
However, I did only choose one sub-field to explore in my SOP per school, though I sometimes mentioned multiple professors with whom I was interested in working.

Is there a reason why you chose only 1 sub-field per school?
 
In my opinion, there is no harm in mentioning both professors since you are well-versed in both fields. I think the only time it would be inappropriate is if it could be portrayed as you "casting a wide net", as they say, but I don't think you are in danger of coming across this way. I hope some of the professors here who have been on admissions committees can chime in as well.

My situation was different, as most of my undergrad research was in one field. I took a leap and mentioned professors whose work I thought was cool, despite not having experience in their field. In my case, had I said "my experience is in X but Prof. A in field A and Prof. B in field B do awesome stuff, so I might give that a shot!", I felt like they would've thrown my application in the trash.
 
Dishsoap said:
In my opinion, there is no harm in mentioning both professors since you are well-versed in both fields. I think the only time it would be inappropriate is if it could be portrayed as you "casting a wide net", as they say, but I don't think you are in danger of coming across this way. I hope some of the professors here who have been on admissions committees can chime in as well.

My situation was different, as most of my undergrad research was in one field. I took a leap and mentioned professors whose work I thought was cool, despite not having experience in their field. In my case, had I said "my experience is in X but Prof. A in field A and Prof. B in field B do awesome stuff, so I might give that a shot!", I felt like they would've thrown my application in the trash.
I see, yeah, that makes sense. So I may just go ahead and mention that I'm interested in the two fields I listed below (I may also get some advice from my research professors on this). And yes, it would help if someone who has been on the admissions committees can give us their opinion here.

Thanks so much!