Increasing the 1 rep max for strength training

In summary, this person is trying to increase their maximum load lifted, and is considering different methods to do so, such as speed training.
ccameron666
I am not studying physics so I apologies for my limited knowledge in advance. I felt if I increased speed of reps with sub-maximal weights this increase of speed would increase my 1 rep max using n e=mc2. I'm now not sure as this implies I'm using more energy not applying more force or power. According to basic physics which obviously I have little grasp of how should I be approaching this problem. What am I trying to increase to move most weight for one rep taking into account that a maximal weight will move slowly so their will be a significant time spent exerting energy and force.
Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
ccameron666 said:
I felt if I increased speed of reps with sub-maximal weights this increase of speed would increase my 1 rep max using n e=mc2.
Special relativity (where the equation comes from) has absolutely nothing to do with that.
ccameron666 said:
I'm now not sure as this implies I'm using more energy not applying more force or power.
That does not make sense.
ccameron666 said:
What am I trying to increase to move most weight for one rep taking into account that a maximal weight will move slowly so their will be a significant time spent exerting energy and force.
If you want to move the maximal mass, then go for the maximal mass. Everything else does not make sense.

E = mc2 will have nothing to do with this. If you want to talk energy, you can use kinetic energy (1/2mv2), but not sure how that will help you.

I think you're asking: Can I improve my 1 rep max by lifting lighter weights more quickly? This more a question of biology than physics. I would say perhaps a bit, but I don't think it's a useful strategy.

Doc Al said:
E = mc2 will have nothing to do with this. If you want to talk energy, you can use kinetic energy (1/2mv2), but not sure how that will help you.

I think you're asking: Can I improve my 1 rep max by lifting lighter weights more quickly? This more a question of biology than physics. I would say perhaps a bit, but I don't think it's a useful strategy.
What is the most important factor for increasing maximum load lifted then? Am I trying to increase force or power and what are the factors for improving them

ccameron666 said:
What is the most important factor for increasing maximum load lifted then?
If you want to lift heavy, you must lift heavy. There are various strategies, for example, periodization, high intensity, micro-loading, and so on. I suggest that you talk to a weightlifter/powerlifter, not a physicist!

ccameron666 said:
Am I trying to increase force or power and what are the factors for improving them
Force and power are different things. If lifting heavy is your goal, then it's force generation that you need.

What you are attempting is dynamic training. It's one of the most effective ways to increase a max lift. When you lift for speed, you are training your muscle to do a few things. Number one, you are training to use more muscle cells. You are also training them to fire simultaneously. Another over looked point, your cns uses electrical signals to control your muscles. Think of this sort of training as lowering the resistance of the system.

I trained in olympic lifting for a few years and powerlifting for 5. We split our training into technique, dynamic, hypertrophy/ assistance and max effort days.

I am infact an elite level powerlifter and understand all of the above trainig protocols. I was speaking to a masters student in strength and conditioning who also competes in Olympic lifting who put the dout in my head about the worth of speed wirk for powerlifting. I am curious of the physics behind the lifting of max loads, just as a piece to the puzzle.

So I'm looking to improve maximum force, mass x acceleration. This is why I thought moving Lower weights faster would help. I'm thinking now to increase force I need to move heavier weights faster, does this make sense or am I still way off

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, training with heavy weights, encourages an increase of muscle fiber recruitment. However, max effort lifts are usually long and slow. So incorporating speed training, and seeing improvement, usually means that the individual fibers are better able to fire simultaneously. Being a powerlifter, you know the big difference a sticking point will have on your progression. You may be able to lock out a 405 bench but you can't get 415, 3 inches from your chest. Dynamic training helps you blow past sticking points.

Me in the good old days. So, how much you deadlift?

26001_1367332552673_4921327_n.jpg

My best deadlift is 290kg

I made this same point about dynamic work helping you break through sticking points using momentum but was told the weight at jax loads is moving too slow for this to be a factor.

I'm now thinking long grinding reps that have me applying high force for prolonged periods may be most beneficial. Perhaps isometric training applying max force into an immovable object would increase max force production.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not going to try and convince you to perform dynamic training. An anonymous voice on the internet will never convince you more persuasively than a master's friend of yours. However, the speed of the bar is not the only reason dynamic training helps with sticking points. When you train for maximum bar speed, your muscles learn to efficiently apply force to the bar in a way that increases momentum. How is this different? Go look at all the wr deadlifts. None of them stagnate in any position with the bar. Your friends argument would leave us to believe that they could increase the weight and perform the movement a little slower. That is not the case.

This is exactly why I had the debate with him, your making a lot of points that I did. Perhaps on this point his opinion may be misguided. Dynamic work in a supplementary basis does seem to be beneficial along side force production. I've never ran westside though the theory is sounding optimal.

1. How often should I train to increase my 1 rep max for strength training?

The frequency of training for increasing your 1 rep max will depend on your overall fitness level and the intensity of your training. Generally, it is recommended to train each muscle group 2-3 times a week with a day of rest in between sessions to allow for muscle recovery.

2. Can I increase my 1 rep max without lifting heavy weights?

While lifting heavy weights is the most effective way to increase your 1 rep max, it is not the only way. Incorporating other forms of resistance training such as plyometrics, bodyweight exercises, and resistance bands can also help to increase your strength and ultimately, your 1 rep max.

3. Is it necessary to have a spotter when attempting to increase my 1 rep max?

Having a spotter can provide safety and support when attempting to increase your 1 rep max. However, if you are training alone, there are ways to safely perform exercises without a spotter such as using a power rack or setting up safety bars.

4. How long does it take to see an increase in my 1 rep max?

The rate at which you see an increase in your 1 rep max will vary depending on several factors including your starting strength level, training frequency, and intensity. With consistent training and proper nutrition, you can expect to see an increase in your 1 rep max within a few weeks to a few months.

5. Is there a specific diet or nutrition plan I should follow to increase my 1 rep max?

In order to increase your 1 rep max, it is important to maintain a balanced and nutritious diet. This includes consuming enough protein to support muscle growth and repair, as well as adequate carbohydrates and healthy fats for energy. Working with a nutritionist or registered dietitian may also be beneficial in developing a personalized plan to support your strength training goals.