Increasing torque via propane injection

In summary, Liam is seeking help with a question from his coursework which involves injecting propane gas into a Vauxhall Omega diesel engine to increase torque. He knows how to calculate torque but is unsure about the specifics of propane gas injection and is seeking guidance on how to incorporate the heating value of propane into his equations.
purplehayyze
Hi all,
My problem is a question from my coursework.
The question is;
We are to inject propane gas into the diesel engine of the Vauxhall Omega on a dyno run.
Calculate how much gas is required to give the engine 60nm more torque?

obviously i can appreciate some people may not want to answer the question for me and that's not what I am after, i know how to calculate torque from cylinder pressure using piston size, swept volume, clearance volume etc. BUT the problem i have is, i can't find any info on propane gas injection and the sort of numbers i will have to factor into my equations.

The car in question is also a 6 cylinder vehicle so calculations can be made for 10nm per cylinder.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated
Many thanks,
Liam

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: Determine heating value of propane.

Thanks for the reply i have found the heating value of propane but how do i implement this into any kind of equation

1. How does propane injection increase torque in an engine?

Propane injection increases torque in an engine by introducing additional fuel into the combustion chamber, resulting in a more powerful and efficient combustion process. This allows for a greater amount of energy to be produced and transferred to the engine's crankshaft, resulting in an increase in torque.

2. What type of engines can benefit from propane injection?

Propane injection can benefit a wide range of engines, including both gasoline and diesel engines. However, it is most commonly used in diesel engines, as it helps to improve their efficiency and power output.

3. Is propane injection safe for my engine?

Propane injection is generally considered safe for engines, as long as it is installed and used properly. Propane is a clean-burning fuel and does not produce harmful emissions, and when used in moderation, it should not cause any damage to the engine.

4. How does propane injection affect fuel economy?

Propane injection can have a positive impact on fuel economy, as it allows for a more complete and efficient combustion process. This means that the engine can produce more power using less fuel, resulting in improved fuel economy.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for a propane injection system?

Like any other engine modification, a propane injection system may require some maintenance to ensure it is functioning properly. This may include periodic cleaning and replacement of filters, as well as checking and adjusting the system's components for optimal performance.