1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independent research - paintball

1. Dec 21, 2007 #1
    independent research - hockey

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been assigned a physics project to do over the break. I need to research the design and use of a piece of protective equipment - I have decided on hockey equipment.

2. The attempt at a solution

The most obvious feature is that the equipment creates a larger distance over which the object can decelerate before hitting the body. I have read on some companies' websites that the equipment actually redirects impact away from sensitive areas (knees, shins, etc.). I appreciate any suggestions of other safety design features I can focus on.

I was also thinking of doing the assignment on paintball - specifically how the mask is used to keep players safe. I'm having trouble deciding which one would include more applications of physics.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2007 #2
    i guess for paintballing you can say the mask increases time which decreases the force
    a car would be better i think

4. Dec 31, 2007 #3
    Do what the guy above says. If you do something on paintball gaurds your report is going to be as boring as hell. However if you did something on cars, or my choice which would be kevlar bullet proof vests (I know its not very original) you would have loads of physics to talk about and whats more you would be able to apply it to real like situations which would make your report/presentation stand out alot more.

5. Dec 31, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think basically there are two sorts of protection: that which reduces the velocity before impact using friction (e.g. the crash zone of a car) and that which spreads out the force of the impact over a large area instead (e.g. bullet proof vest).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?