Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indeterminate problem in geometry

1. Oct 7, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I came across this question and am wondering if anyone could help me on this...I don't even know where to start... (see attached image)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2006 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is a somewhat tedious analytic geometry problem.

First locate Q by solving for the intersection of C1 equation and C2 equation - the latter is x^2+y^2=r^2.

By subtracting one equation from the other you will have a linear equation in x, which is readily solvable. This x can be used to obtain y (use plus value). Notice the coordinates of P and Q both depend on r.

Get the equation of the straight line through P and Q and find the x coordinate of the y=0 point on the line. This will also depend on r.

Now let r get arbitrarily small.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  4. Oct 9, 2006 #3
    Thank you, Mathman, for answering my question. I have done what you suggested by combining the equations of the two circles to find the intersection coordinates at Q.

C1: (x-2)^2 + y^2 = 4
    C2: x^2 + y^2 = r^2

It comes out to
    x = (r^2)/4

With this I can isolate r or x...either way, I now know the relation between the two variables.

But what I seem to have trouble with is the subtracting of the two equations. Do you mean subtracting C1 from C2's equation?
    I find this odd, because it would then look like this:
    x^2 + y^2 - 4x - (x^2 - 4x + 4 + y^2 -4) = 0
    Then after everything, it just cancels out....so I know I must be plugging the x and r relation into the same equation... could you give me a little more guidance ... ,in detail, about this question?

You say there would then be a linear equation... but ... from where?

Please overlook my ignorance.
    Thanks!

5. Oct 9, 2006 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No!

C1-C2 looks like: -4x+4=4-r^2. This gives the equation you used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?