Indeterminism of Quantum Mechanics and incompatibility with Relativity

In summary: In the future, everyone will be able to understand quantum mechanics, but no one will be able to apply it."In summary, the author is frustrated with the incompatibility of GR and QM and is curious about other people's thoughts on the matter.
rethipher
As a self study it has been difficult to find time to study quantum mechanics and relativity simultaneously while obtaining my aerospace engineering degree. Nonetheless, I've made some progress in the matter.

My point and or discussion rather herin, is this: With quantum mechanics being inherently indeterminist, and using a statistical approach to experimentation, while Relativity being a completely deterministic, it strikes me as somewhat frustrating that the two are incompatible at the moment, and we must rely on one or the other for large scale or small scale theories.

Particularly, I find it inconsolably hard to reason that quantum mechanics is correct, in being completely indeterministic, knowing full well that a great many experiments have validated it.

I do not posit it's invalidity, nor do I have a better idea. For this very reason that it is strange I am drawn to it's implications and consequences that seem to come out of it. Yet, I cannot fathom that it is in fact, correct to be statistical, and that everything is not well defined. I guess my question is simple, does anybody else find it as frustrating as I do that this seems to be so? I quibble intensely over the statistical nature of the wave function, and it's different interpretations, and I simply cannot seem to get a sense that it is in fact, entirely correct. I know this is still an open question, and to some extent a frivolous philosophical discussion that may have already been beaten to death. But, I find myself nonetheless wondering, is anybody else as frustrated as I am in this matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Frustrated? Nope. Curious? Absolutely.

I should rephrase that I guess. I am absolutely curious. My frustration stems, I guess from the fact that I never seem to have enough mathematical background and/or foundation in the physics to address the formalisms and come to my own conclusion. Most of the books I've come across ask the reader to take things based on faith, without derivation, or motivation. I have so much skepticism and curiosity, but I find it difficult to satisfy it because most of the time things are motivated on faith alone, or get brushed off as being to advanced to entertain at the moment. Sidenote: I'm going into school as a fifth year senior.
so I should have the background to at least motivate my own self study. But I always seem to get stopped in my tracks with the fact that I'm missing a real analysis class, a topology class here, or an abstract algebra class there, etc.

What makes you think they are incompatible? It is not incompatible with Special Relativity and only incompatible up to a point with General Relativity - namely its fine up to about the Plank Scale where a perfectly good theory exists.

I understand the math thing. My advice is to understand bog standard QM first and the best book I know for that is Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810241054/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Get it - study it and you won't be sorry.

Thanks
Bill

rethipher said:
As a self study it has been difficult to find time to study quantum mechanics and relativity simultaneously while obtaining my aerospace engineering degree. Nonetheless, I've made some progress in the matter.

My point and or discussion rather herin, is this: With quantum mechanics being inherently indeterminist, and using a statistical approach to experimentation, while Relativity being a completely deterministic, it strikes me as somewhat frustrating that the two are incompatible at the moment, and we must rely on one or the other for large scale or small scale theories.

Particularly, I find it inconsolably hard to reason that quantum mechanics is correct, in being completely indeterministic, knowing full well that a great many experiments have validated it.

I do not posit it's invalidity, nor do I have a better idea. For this very reason that it is strange I am drawn to it's implications and consequences that seem to come out of it. Yet, I cannot fathom that it is in fact, correct to be statistical, and that everything is not well defined. I guess my question is simple, does anybody else find it as frustrating as I do that this seems to be so? I quibble intensely over the statistical nature of the wave function, and it's different interpretations, and I simply cannot seem to get a sense that it is in fact, entirely correct. I know this is still an open question, and to some extent a frivolous philosophical discussion that may have already been beaten to death. But, I find myself nonetheless wondering, is anybody else as frustrated as I am in this matter?

There are a few approaches to the unification of GR and QM, time will tell how successful they are(provided they can be tested). As Bohr once said -

"Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it."

rethipher said:

rather ask yourself
how a quantum wavefunction can be influenced by general relativity.

Maui said:
There are a few approaches to the unification of GR and QM, time will tell how successful they are(provided they can be tested). As Bohr once said -

"Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it."

Can you point me to any of the competing theories? (Other than M-Theory which as you alluded makes no testable predictions right now.)

Particularly, I find it inconsolably hard to reason that quantum mechanics is correct, in being completely indeterministic
This may be nitpicky, but QM is not completely indeterministic. The wavefunction is deterministic, it is just certain measurements that are not. I know this is slightly different from your question about relativity, so I don't want to side track the discussion; I just wanted to point this out.

Also, as has been pointed out, SR and QM work fine together and this has been known since Dirac came up with his equation in the 30's.

As far as GR, I don't know much... but thanks to the beauty of Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_gravity#Candidate_theories
When you get right down to it though, gravity and QM and GR work fine under many circumstances.

If you're studying aerospace engineering, a real QM book should be fine. Maybe find some friends and get into it. I enjoyed Griffiths, but the Ballentine book looks pretty cool. He uses more modern notation.

rethipher said:
Can you point me to any of the competing theories? (Other than M-Theory which as you alluded makes no testable predictions right now.)

AFAIK, the more established theories are Loop qunatum gravity and its sister Causal dynamical triangulation. There a number of small team efforts toward more exotic approaches, but it's hard to judge their merit in the abscence of testable predictions. Your questions will be better addressed in the Beyond the Standard Model, as there are people who have most of the recent LHC data and it will likely be crucial for the future unification(though even larger colliders would seem to be needed).

DrewD said:
This may be nitpicky, but QM is not completely indeterministic. The wavefunction is deterministic, it is just certain measurements that are not. I know this is slightly different from your question about relativity, so I don't want to side track the discussion; I just wanted to point this out.

I understand what you're say. When I said incompatible I think of black hole applications where it is necessary to use both theories, excluding some of Hawking work that does in fact successfully use the two theories. But, general relativity predicts a singularity with infinite density and gravity which is just another way of saying they aren't really sure what happens.

I sight this example, because I think any theory that is to be a true description of what nature is doing should not break down in any respect.

I would hold merit, that this just means that the theory is incomplete, which is at best what I think is going on. I am by no means a physicist so I don't have wide sweeping knowledge to back this up, so I may be mistake in some manner. But, nonetheless I think this is the general consensus is it not? That is, without a unified theory that brings together gravity and the quantum world, our description of nature is still rather incomplete.

yoda jedi said:
rather ask yourself
how a quantum wavefunction can be influenced by general relativity.

I have a similar thought. We can describe a microscopic particle by a wavefunction. When we have millions/billions microscopic particles concentrated in a small area, shouldn't all wavefunctions add up to produce a giant wavefunction? Do they cancel each other out? Why don't we describe Earth with a super giant wavefunction?

Just curious.

Neandethal00 said:
I have a similar thought. We can describe a microscopic particle by a wavefunction. When we have millions/billions microscopic particles concentrated in a small area, shouldn't all wavefunctions add up to produce a giant wavefunction? Do they cancel each other out? Why don't we describe Earth with a super giant wavefunction?

Just curious.

For a start, we don't (and cannot) know the state of each and every one of those billions of particles.

Neandethal00 said:

Just curious.

The point of the wave function is that it does not necessarily describe a system but a probability distribution of where it is most likely for a particle to be. There are different interpretations to what the wave function means physically, as you can do a quick google search to see a few. The problem is not the wave function per se, because it is a deterministic mathematical entity. The problem comes from the measurement process which is not well defined, or even well understood as too what it must be. For instance, is it an interaction between a light signal and an electron? There is no real consensus with the issue and it is has become the central issue in interpretation of quantum mechanics. Of course this is not necessarily a problem in some physicist eyes who take the stance, 'shut up and calculate, implying such things as it works, and provides the correct answer so it is just heuristics to some.

DrewD said:

Also, as has been pointed out, SR and QM work fine together and this has been known since Dirac came up with his equation in the 30's.

As far as GR, I don't know much... but thanks to the beauty of Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_gravity#Candidate_theories
When you get right down to it though, gravity and QM and GR work fine under many circumstances.

If you're studying aerospace engineering, a real QM book should be fine. Maybe find some friends and get into it. I enjoyed Griffiths, but the Ballentine book looks pretty cool. He uses more modern notation.

GR and QM overlap...
and test alternative quantum theories.

general relativistic effects on quantum

...The proposed quantum optics experiment may also allow testing some non-standard theories of quantum fields. Some of these alternative models predict a difference in the time evolution of entangled states on a curved background as compared to predictions of standard quantum filed theory on the same space-time (for a flat space-time, such models reduce to the standard quantum field theory and are thus only distinguishable on a curved background). For example, the model proposed in Ref 27*. predicts a decorrelation of entangled photons, which can have a measurable effect on the expected visibility in our setup.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1206.0965v1.pdf

------
*http://arxiv.org/pdf/0809.1907.pdf
http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v79/i2/e022121

Last edited:

1. What is the "indeterminism" of quantum mechanics?

The indeterminism of quantum mechanics refers to the inherent randomness and uncertainty in the behavior and outcomes of particles at the quantum level. Unlike classical mechanics, which assumes that all physical phenomena can be predicted with certainty, quantum mechanics acknowledges that there are limits to our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles.

2. How is quantum mechanics incompatible with relativity?

Quantum mechanics and relativity are two of the most fundamental theories in physics, yet they have been shown to be incompatible with each other. This is because quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles at a small scale, while relativity deals with the behavior of objects at a large scale. The two theories have different assumptions and principles, making it difficult to reconcile them into a single unified theory.

3. Can the indeterminism of quantum mechanics be explained by hidden variables?

There have been attempts to explain the indeterminism of quantum mechanics by proposing the existence of hidden variables, which are unobservable properties or attributes of particles that determine their behavior. However, these attempts have been largely unsuccessful and there is currently no evidence to support the existence of hidden variables.

4. How does the concept of "wave-particle duality" in quantum mechanics affect its indeterminism?

Wave-particle duality is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. This duality plays a crucial role in the indeterminism of quantum mechanics, as it means that particles do not have definite positions or velocities, but rather exist as probability distributions. This further adds to the uncertainty and indeterminacy of quantum mechanics.

5. Is it possible to reconcile quantum mechanics and relativity?

While there have been attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and relativity, such as with the theory of quantum gravity, there is currently no widely accepted solution. The two theories have been extensively tested and have been shown to be highly accurate in their respective domains, but they have yet to be unified into a single theory. This remains one of the biggest challenges in modern physics.