Induction - have answer, need clarification

• Thread starter tangibleLime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the homework statement is that the sum of consecutive cubes is (n²(n + 1)²)/4. The algebra they start to do just doesn't follow. They dropped the cube on the (k+1)? and seem to have made a mistake. Any clarification would be great.
tangibleLime

Homework Statement

Example 3 from this website:
http://www.themathpage.com/aprecalc/mathematical-induction.htm

Prove this formula for the sum of consecutive cubes:
1³ + 2³ + 3³ + . . . + n³ = (n²(n + 1)²)/4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can understand and follow the entire thing up to a certain point. It seems like the algebra they start to do just doesn't follow. Where I get lost is at the location where they " To do that, add the next cube to S(k)". On the third step, they go from (k²(k + 1)² + 4(k + 1)³)/4 to ((k + 1)²[k² + 4(k + 1)])/4, which I am certain is nonsense. To back up my claims, I threw it into WolframAlpha and it said that those two expressions are not equal.

When I tried to do this myself, I just calculated (k+1)^3 and expanded it to (k^3+3k^2+3k+1), which is completely different from they they did. It's as if they just dropped the cube on the (k+1)?

Any clarification would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
tangibleLime said:
On the third step, they go from (k²(k + 1)² + 4(k + 1)³)/4 to ((k + 1)²[k² + 4(k + 1)])/4, which I am certain is nonsense. To back up my claims, I threw it into WolframAlpha and it said that those two expressions are not equal.

When I tried to do this myself, I just calculated (k+1)^3 and expanded it to (k^3+3k^2+3k+1), which is completely different from they they did. It's as if they just dropped the cube on the (k+1)?

Any clarification would be great.

Um, I actually think that is true. You might have put it into Wolfram Alpha wrong. You can expand the cube, sure, but then you'll just want to factor it again. They just saved some time by taking advantage of common factors and not expanding.

Ooooh, okay, thanks! Just worked out the whole thing by hand and seems like it flows nicely now. Maybe I made a small mistake before.

Thanks again!

Like Dick said, they factorized out using common factors.

Say you wanted to find the factored form of [tex](a+b)^3+2a(a+b)^2[/tex]
rather than expanding everything out and then factorizing from there, which can be tedious and difficult to solve, they noticed that there is a common factor of [tex](a+b)^2[/tex] and thus can factorize it as so: [tex](a+b)^2\left((a+b)^1+2a\right)=(a+b)^2(3a+b)[/tex].

1. What is induction?

Induction is the process of using specific observations and evidence to make general conclusions or predictions.

2. How is induction different from deduction?

Induction involves gathering evidence and making general conclusions based on that evidence, while deduction starts with a general premise and uses logic to draw specific conclusions.

3. Can induction lead to absolute certainty?

No, induction can only provide probable conclusions based on the evidence presented. It is always possible for new evidence to arise that could change the conclusion.

4. What are some common methods of induction in science?

Some common methods of induction in science include observation, experimentation, and statistical analysis.

5. Why is induction important in the scientific method?

Induction allows scientists to make general conclusions and predictions based on evidence, which can then be tested and refined through further experimentation. It is a crucial part of the scientific method as it helps to build knowledge and understanding of the natural world.