Mathematical induction example

In summary, the textbook states that the reason for adding (3k+1) to both sides of the equation is because 3(k+1)-2 = 3k+1. However, this reason is not explained in the text.
cptstubing

Homework Statement

A step in this process of proving Sn: 1+4+7+...+(3n-2) = n(3n-1)/2
confuses me. I hope someone can clarify this for me.
I do not require the work done, I need clarification on a step only. Thanks!

Homework Equations

After assuming n=k, we say Sk: 1+4+7+...+(3k-2) = k(3k-1)/2
When assuming n=k+1, we say Sk+1: 1+4+7+...+(3k-2) + (3k+1) = k(3k-1)/2 + (3k+1)
The book states the reason for adding (3k+1) on both sides of the equation is because 3(k+1)-2 = 3k+1

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is this the case? What is 3(k+1)-2 ? I know it equals 3k+1 because 3 multiplied by (k+1) is 3k+3, then -2 makes it 3k+1. But where did 3(k+1)-2 suddenly come from? It seems arbitrary and is without explanation in the textbook.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When using induction you are trying to show that the kth case implies the k+1th case. So after adding 3k+1 on both sides you get Sk + 3k+1=Sk+3(k+1)-2, which if you are to assume the inductive hypothesis, holds with n=k+1.

cptstubing said:

Homework Statement

A step in this process of proving Sn: 1+4+7+...+(3n-2) = n(3n-1)/2
confuses me. I hope someone can clarify this for me.
I do not require the work done, I need clarification on a step only. Thanks!

Homework Equations

After assuming n=k, we say Sk: 1+4+7+...+(3k-2) = k(3k-1)/2

I would have said "By the induction hypotheses, for n=k we assume that 1+4+7+...+(3k-2) = k(3k-1)/2."

When assuming n=k+1, we say Sk+1: 1+4+7+...+(3k-2) + (3k+1) = k(3k-1)/2 + (3k+1)
The book states the reason for adding (3k+1) on both sides of the equation is because 3(k+1)-2 = 3k+1

Here it is better to say what we are to prove, which is that ##S_{k+1}## is true, which is:$$

1+4+7+...+ (3k-2)+(3(k+1)-2) = \frac{(k+1)(3(k+1)-1)} 2$$
This is gotten by just writing ##S_n## when ##n=k+1##. Now if you simplify the last term on the left side, you will see why adding ##3k+1## to both sides of ##S_k## will make the left sides equal and, hopefully, the right side equal to what you want.

Last edited:
I got it now.
That term 3(k+1)-2 that I thought was totally random came from plugging in (k+1) into the k in (3k-2)
&*@^&$@^(!

What is mathematical induction and why is it important?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It is important because it allows us to prove statements that would be difficult to prove using other methods.

Can you give an example of mathematical induction?

One example of mathematical induction is proving that the sum of the first n odd numbers is equal to n^2. The base case is showing that the statement is true for n = 1. Then, assuming the statement is true for n = k, we can use this to prove that it is also true for n = k+1. This completes the inductive step, and the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

What is the difference between weak and strong mathematical induction?

Weak mathematical induction only uses the previous case to prove the next case, while strong mathematical induction uses all previous cases to prove the next case. Strong induction is typically used when the statement being proven depends on more than just the previous case.

Are there any limitations to mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction can only be used for statements that can be expressed in terms of natural numbers. It also cannot be used to prove statements that are not true for all natural numbers, such as "there exists" statements.

Can mathematical induction be used to prove inequalities?

Yes, mathematical induction can be used to prove inequalities. The inductive step would involve showing that if the statement is true for n = k, it is also true for n = k+1. This would then prove that the inequality holds for all natural numbers.