Inductor as a battery in a circuit

In summary: Yes.Since, current always flows from higher potential to lower potential, VA−VBVA−VB V _ A -V_B has to be positive.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

Can we consider an inductor as a battery of emf ξ = -## L \frac {dI } { dt} ##?
upload_2017-9-2_23-9-38.png

upload_2017-9-2_23-9-11.png

For the above circuit,
##V_A - V_B = V_C -V_D
\\ -L \frac {dI } { dt} = IR ##
Here, the inductor is acting as a battery of emf ## -L \frac {dI } { dt} ##.
upload_2017-9-2_23-13-23.png

For the above circuit,
##V_A - V_B = V_C -V_D
\\ -L \frac {dI } { dt} = \frac{-Q} C ## which is wrong as LHS is positive and RHS is negative.
So, here, the inductor should act as a battery with emf ## L \frac {dI } { dt} ##. Right?

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-2_21-59-24.png
    upload_2017-9-2_21-59-24.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
For the above circuit,
##V_A - V_B = V_C -V_D
\\ -L \frac {dI } { dt} = \frac{-Q} C ## which is wrong as LHS is positive and RHS is negative.
Why? dI/dt can be positive or Q can be negative.

I don't think it is useful to call an inductance a battery. It can have a voltage, but unlike for a battery this voltage depends on the time-dependence of the current.

Likes Pushoam
Pushoam said:
Here, the inductor is acting as a battery of emf −LdIdt -L \frac {dI } { dt} .
Not for long... :smile:

Quiz Question -- For how long?

Likes cnh1995
Pushoam said:
For the above circuit,
VA−VB=VC−VD−LdIdt=−QCVA−VB=VC−VD−LdIdt=−QCV_A - V_B = V_C -V_D \\ -L \frac {dI } { dt} = \frac{-Q} C which is wrong as LHS is positive and RHS is negative.
So, here, the inductor should act as a battery with emf LdIdtLdIdt L \frac {dI } { dt} . Right?
Is there any initial charge on the capacitor?
Is the current increasing or decreasing?
You should consider these things while writing the KVL equation.

In your circuit, it appears to me that the capacitor is discharging through the inductor, so the inductor is storing energy. So it's the capacitor that is acting as a voltage source here. But again, it's not for long.

berkeman said:
Quiz Question -- For how long?
##
V_A - V_B = V_C -V_D
## I = I_0 e^{- \frac R L t}##
So, it works as a battery( with decreasing potential difference) for always in principle.

From other posts, what I conclude is:
Whether an inductor acts as a battery of emf - ## L \frac {dI } { dt} ## depends on the circuit.
I cannot always replace an inductor by a battery of emf - ## L \frac {dI } { dt} ## . Right?
Pushoam said:
?
upload_2017-9-2_23-9-38-png.png

Pushoam said:
##
V_A - V_B = V_C -V_D
## I = I_0 e^{- \frac R L t}##
So, it works as a battery( with decreasing potential difference) for always in principle.

From other posts, what I conclude is:
Whether an inductor acts as a battery of emf - ## L \frac {dI } { dt} ## depends on the circuit.
I cannot always replace an inductor by a battery of emf - ## L \frac {dI } { dt} ## . Right?
You can always replace an inductor with a battery of emf Ldi/dt. There is no minus sign.
That sign will depend on the polarity of the battery and it will show up in the KVL equation for that particular loop.
The polarity of that battery will depend on time response of other circuit components.

cnh1995 said:
You can always replace an inductor with a battery of emf Ldi/dt. There is no minus sign.
That sign will depend on the polarity of the battery and it will show up in the KVL equation for that particular loop.
The polarity of that battery will depend on time response of other circuit components.
Thanks for it.
I was looking for this information.

Pushoam said:
Thanks for it.
I was looking for this information.
The general form of KVL for a particular loop is,

Driving voltage (independent)= sum of the voltage drops across all components in that loop.

When you have an RL circuit excited by a dc source of voltage V, the above equation becomes
V=Ldi/dt+iR.

When you have a source-free (i.e. no independent source) circuit like the ones in your OP, driving voltage in the above equation becomes zero.
So, for RL circuit (first one in your OP),
0=Ldi/dt+iR
Or,
-Ldi/dt=iR.
The inductor is now "supplying" energy.

For the second diagram,
0=Ldi/dt+q/C
Or,
-Ldi/dt=q/c.

If you solve this equation, you'll see that the energy oscillates between L and C and the current is sinusoidal.

Likes Pushoam
upload_2017-9-3_12-22-27.png

In the above circuit,
KVL says,
##V_A - V_B + V_B - V_C + V_C - V_A = 0 ##
Since, current always flows from higher potential to lower potential, ## V _ A -V_B## has to be positive.
Since, the current is increasing as time passes, ##\frac {dI } {dt} ## is positive.
Hence , ## V _ A -V_B = L \frac {dI } {dt} ## .
Is the reasoning correct here?

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-3_12-19-23.png
    upload_2017-9-3_12-19-23.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 440
Pushoam said:
Is the reasoning correct here?
Yes.
Pushoam said:
Since, current always flows from higher potential to lower potential, VA−VBVA−VB V _ A -V_B has to be positive.
Since, the current is increasing as time passes, dIdtdIdt\frac {dI } {dt} is positive.
This analysis is for your own intuition. But you can't always analyse like this, especially when you have an RLC circuit excited with a dc source. That transient can be one of four different types. Better write the KVL equation, solve it and see what it gives. You don't have to know anything else.

cnh1995 said:
Better write the KVL equation, solve it and see what it gives. You don't have to know anything else.
But, KVL eqn. doesn't tell us whether ## V_A - V_B = L \frac {dI } {dt} , ~ or~ V_A - V_B = - L \frac {dI } {dt} ##.
Without knowing this, how can one solve the eqn.?

Pushoam said:
But, KVL eqn. doesn't tell us whether ## V_A - V_B = L \frac {dI } {dt} , ~ or~ V_A - V_B = - L \frac {dI } {dt} ##.
Without knowing this, how can one solve the eqn.?
Use the general form of KVL.
cnh1995 said:
Driving voltage (independent)= sum of the voltage drops across all components in that loop.
V=Ldi/dt+iR.
You don't have to worry about the polarity. Treat the voltages across all the components in the loop as voltage drops. The math will take care of the rest.

The solution of the DE will be complete once you put the initial condition(or boundary condition) into the solution. Initially, the current is zero. Put that into the solution and you'll get the complete time response.

Likes Pushoam
Pushoam said:
I=I0e−RLt I = I_0 e^{- \frac R L t}
Well, not really forever. As you show, it has a decay with a time constant of L/R. That's the key point I was making. Good that you worked it out! :smile:

Likes Pushoam

1. What is an inductor and how does it work?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a core material, such as iron or air. When a current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that resists changes in the current, similar to how a flywheel resists changes in rotational speed.

2. Can an inductor be used as a battery in a circuit?

Technically, an inductor cannot be used as a battery in a circuit. While it can store energy, it cannot generate energy like a battery does. However, an inductor can be used to smooth out the output voltage of a battery, making it appear more constant.

3. How does an inductor affect the flow of electricity in a circuit?

An inductor affects the flow of electricity in a circuit by creating a magnetic field that opposes changes in current. This effect is known as inductance. It can cause a delay in the current and can also filter out high-frequency signals, resulting in a smoother, more consistent flow of electricity.

4. What are some common applications of inductors in circuits?

Inductors are commonly used in circuits for various purposes, such as filtering, energy storage, and voltage regulation. They can also be found in electronic devices like speakers, motors, and generators. In addition, inductors are used in power supplies, radio frequency circuits, and telecommunications equipment.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using inductors in circuits?

One limitation of using inductors in circuits is their size and weight. They can take up a significant amount of space and may not be suitable for smaller or more compact devices. Additionally, inductors can introduce unwanted noise and distortion into a circuit if not properly designed. They can also be more expensive compared to other electronic components.