Find the current through the inductor

In summary: In the steady state i.e. at t=∞, there is no back emf in the circuit, hence no voltage drop across the inductor. You can see the final current is V/R1 which flows only through R1 and L, bypassing R2.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

Find a differential equation for current through the inductor and then solve it. The battery carries voltage ##V_0##
(The switch is closed at t=0s)

circuit.png

Homework Equations

##v=\frac{q}{C}## (Capacitor)
##v=L\frac{di}{dt}## (Inductor)
##v=IR## (Resistor)

The Attempt at a Solution

From KVL around the first square I get ##0=V_0-iR_1-L\frac{di}{dt}##

Now I have a couple questions. First off is ##i## in this case actually the current flowing through the inductor or is it the current flowing through the circuit. 2nd, how would I go about solving this differential equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:
First off is iii in this case actually the current flowing through the inductor or is it the current flowing through the circuit.
It is the current through the inductor. Also, current through R1 is not same as current through L.

Likes Potatochip911
cnh1995 said:
It is the current through the inductor. Also, current through R1 is not same as current through L.
Is this because ##L## is in parallel with ##R_2##?

Yes.

Likes Potatochip911
During the transient, current through L and R1 are different. But in the steady state, since the inductor acts as a short, R2 is shorted and current flows only through R1 and L.

Likes Potatochip911
cnh1995 said:
During the transient, current through L and R1 are different. But in the steady state, since the inductor acts as a short, R2 is shorted and current flows only through R1 and L.

Ok, I originally thought I would just assign a new variable for the currents but then I obtain the equation ##V_0-iR_1-L\frac{di_p}{dt}=0## but this doesn't look too promising so I think it's better to use the junction rule and then assign current ##i## through ##R_1##, current ##i_1## through ##L## and current ##i_2## through ##R_2##, then from the junction rule ##i=i_1+i_2\Longrightarrow i_1=i-i_2##, which gives $$V_0-iR-L\frac{d(i-i_2)}{dt}=0$$. Unfortunately I can't see where to go from here either.

You'll need to frame a DE with one variable only. You can use the two loops to find another relation between i1 and i2 and substitute in place of i2.
For example, if total current is i, you can write iR1+LdiL/dt=Vo
And
LdiL/dt=iR2R2.
Also, i=iL+iR2
You can play with these three equations and set a DE in iL.

Likes Potatochip911
cnh1995 said:
You'll need to frame a DE with one variable only. You can use the two loops to find another relation between i1 and i2 and substitute in place of i2.
For example, if total current is i, you can write iR1+LdiL/dt=Vo
And
LdiL/dt=iR2R2.
Also, i=iL+iR2
You can play with these three equations and set a DE in iL.

Okay so combining equations:

$$V_0=iR_1+L\frac{di_1}{dt}=(i_1+i_2)R_1+L\frac{di_1}{dt}=i_1R_1+i_2R_1+L\frac{di_1}{dt}=i_1R_1+L\frac{R_1}{R_2}\frac{di_1}{dt}+L\frac{di_1}{dt} \\
V_0=i_1R_1+\frac{di_1}{dt}(L\frac{R_1}{R_2}+L)\Longrightarrow (V_0-i_1R_1)dt=(L\frac{R_1}{R_2}+L)di_1\\ \frac{dt}{L\frac{R_1}{R_2}+L}=\frac{di_1}{V_0-i_1R_1}
$$

Let ##D=L\frac{R_1}{R_2}+L## then
$$
\int \frac{dt}{D}=\int \frac{di_1}{V_0-i_1R_1}\Longrightarrow \frac{t}{D}+C=-\ln(V_0-i_1R_1)/R_1 \\
i_1=\frac{V_0-e^{-tR_1/D-C}}{R_1}
$$

Is there a way to show that the constant C=0 in this case? I'm pretty sure this is the case since it makes sense that the current through it as ##t\to \infty## would equal ##V_0/R_1##

Likes cnh1995
Potatochip911 said:
Is there a way to show that the constant C=0 in this case?
Initially, i1=0. You can use definite integration here. Take limits for current as 0 to i and limits for time as 0 to t. This way, you can have a genralized relationship between i and t. Then you can put t= to find the final inductor current.

Likes Potatochip911
Potatochip911 said:
i1=V0−e−tR1/D−CR1
Well, here it should be in the form
i(t)=Vo(1-e-t/T)/R1

Likes Potatochip911
cnh1995 said:
Well, here it should be in the form
i(t)=Vo(1-e-t/T)/R1

Okay using definite integrals with limits ##0\to t## and ##0\to i_1## we end up with
$$
\frac{t}{L\frac{R_1}{R_2}+L}=\frac{\ln(V_0)-\ln(V_0-i_1R_1)}{R_1}
$$
After further simplification: $$
i_1R_1=V_0-e^{\ln(V_0)-\frac{R_1}{t}{D}}=V_0-V_0e^{-\frac{R_1t}{D}}\Longrightarrow i_1=\frac{V_0(1-e^{-\frac{R_1t}{D}})}{R_1}$$

I just have one last question, how come the inductor acts as a short in the steady state?

Potatochip911 said:
I just have one last question, how come the inductor acts as a short in the steady state?
In the steady state i.e. at t=∞, there is no back emf in the circuit, hence no voltage drop across the inductor. You can see the final current is V/R1 which flows only through R1 and L, bypassing R2. In steady state, you can replace the inductor by a wire.

Likes Potatochip911
Out of curiosity, since you're studying first order RL and RC circuits now, surely you must have been introduced to Thevenin and Norton equivalents? Would it not have been simpler to reduce the resistor network and source to a Thevenin or Norton equivalent first?

upload_2016-2-21_8-48-22.png

Likes Potatochip911, gracy and cnh1995
gneill said:
Out of curiosity, since you're studying first order RL and RC circuits now, surely you must have been introduced to Thevenin and Norton equivalents? Would it not have been simpler to reduce the resistor network and source to a Thevenin or Norton equivalent first?

View attachment 96233

I found ##V_{th}=iR_2## and ##R_{th}=R_1+R_2## which when plugged into the differential equation obtained from KVL: $$iR_2=i(R_1+R_2)+L\frac{di}{dt}
$$
Solving this equation results in
$$
i=\frac{e^{-\frac{tR_1}{L}}}{R_1}$$
Which doesn't seem to match up with my previous result. Did I calculate ##V_{th}## and ##R_{th}## incorrectly?

Your Thevenin model is not correct. What is "i"? There should be no "i" in the Thevenin model, just the original voltage source value and the resistors.

gneill said:
Your Thevenin model is not correct. What is "i"? There should be no "i" in the Thevenin model, just the original voltage source value and the resistors.
Ok I believe I found the correct values now although I haven't done the integration yet, I got ##V_{th}=\frac{R_2}{R_1+R_2}V_0## and ##R_{th}=R_1+R_2##

Your Thevenin resistance is still incorrect. How do you find the Thevenin resistance?

Likes Potatochip911
gneill said:
Your Thevenin resistance is still incorrect. How do you find the Thevenin resistance?
Removing the voltage sources and then calculating the resistance across the terminals. Is my mistake that ##R_1## and ##R_2## are in parallel so ##R_{th}=\frac{R_1R_2}{R_1+R_2}##

Yup.

Likes Potatochip911
gneill said:
Yup.
Thanks, I managed to get the same answer now.

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire that generates a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it.

2. How does an inductor affect the current in a circuit?

An inductor resists changes in current and can cause a delay in the flow of current. When the current through an inductor changes, the magnetic field also changes, which induces a voltage in the opposite direction, thus slowing down the current.

3. What factors affect the current through an inductor?

The current through an inductor is affected by the voltage applied across it, the inductance of the inductor, and the frequency of the current passing through it.

4. How do you calculate the current through an inductor?

The current through an inductor can be calculated using the equation I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage applied across the inductor in volts, and R is the resistance of the circuit in ohms.

5. What are some applications of inductors?

Inductors are commonly used in electric circuits for the purpose of energy storage, filtering, and tuning. They are also used in devices such as transformers, motors, generators, and power supplies.