1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequalities and absolute value

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) x^5 > x^2
    2) 7| x + 2 | + 5 > 4
    3) 3 - | 2x + 4 | <= 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1)
    x5 - x2 > 0
    x2(x3 - 1) > 0
    x2(x - 1)(x2 + x + 1) > 0
    Im not too sure what to do next. I cant factor it any further, at least I dont think so. Which leads me to ask how exactly am I suppose to find the numbers to check what the solution is?

2)

7| x + 2 | + 5 > 4
    7| x + 2 | > -1
    |x + 2 | > -1/7
    Can this be correct? The absolute value must always equal 0, or a positive number, right? How would I go about solving this? Or should I say the solutions do not exist?

3)
    3 - | 2x + 4 | <= 1
    - | 2x + 4 | <= -2
    | 2x + 4 | => 2
    2x + 4 => 2
    2x => -2
    x => -1
    or
    2x + 4 <= -2
    2x <= -6
    x <= -3
    is this the right answer?

Thanks for your time

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2
    For 1), now that you've factored it, find where the graph crosses the x-axis to get some intervals between those points. Each interval will be either above or below the x-axis.

[Edit] I must have thought the the inequality sign for 2) was the other way...
    The absolute value of a real number is always ≥0, so |x + 2| > -1/7 is always true, for any real x.

3 seems correct.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    When at |x + 2 | > -1/7, recall that this is an inequality, not an equation, it doesn't say that |x+2| is less than 0, it says that it is greater than -1/7. No value for x would make this untrue, so x can be any real number.

5. Oct 23, 2009 #4
    x5 - x2 > 0
    x2(x3 - 1) > 0
    x2(x - 1)(x2 + x + 1) > 0

Solving an inequality would mean to express the solution as a union of intervals. In this case, which values of x will result in a value greater than 0 when plugged into the inequality.

6. Oct 24, 2009 #5
    So, I should go about solving the equation then?

Such as,

x + 2 > -1/7
    x > -1/7 - 2
    x > -15/7
    or
    x + 2 < 1/7
    x < -13/7

It seems these answers conflict, though. How can x be greater than -15/7, and less than
    -13/7.

I'm rather confused about absolute value because they have drilled it into my head that they always must be positive, or 0. So, when I saw an absolute inequality with it saying > -1/7, I assumed that the absolute value, while greater than 1/7, was still a negative. Does this mean in the cases of absolute values and inequalities, it doesn't matter if there is a negative value after one of the <,> signs?

Thanks Again

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. Oct 24, 2009 #6
    Think of an absolute value as a distance in that a distance is going to be positive. The statement is true because since you know |x + 2| is always positive, you know |x + 2| is greater than -1/7 no matter what value of x you plug in. Remember it is not an equation, so it even if it said |x + 2| > -100,000 it would still be true.

8. Oct 24, 2009 #7
    I understand. Was the posted solution to that question correct? The answers left me confused.

9. Oct 24, 2009 #8
    Don't think of plugging those values of x into |x + 2 | > -1/7. You're trying to find out which values of x make this statement true: 7| x + 2 | + 5 > 4. Try plugging your solution into the inequality for x and then seeing if that proves true.

10. Oct 24, 2009 #9
    I plugged them, and they work. I was just concerned because the textbook asks for me to solve the question also in a graph form.

11. Oct 24, 2009 #10
    Since you are confused that the answers seem to overlap, think about what that means. It means that all real numbers are included.

12. Oct 24, 2009 #11
    That makes sense!
    Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook