1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequality or just wrong? (algebra practice)

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    I've been making up problems to practice with, and I came across something I couldn't tell on my own, and that is, how do you know that your problem is supposed to be an inequality or you did something wrong? Should I just be looking up other peoples problems instead to try and practice with?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without any specifics it would be very hard to answer your question.

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

if you can plot your answer then you can test a point on one side of the line of equality and then on the other side of the line. (assuming you have a line or bounding curve).

5. Jul 28, 2012 #4
    That could work for two-dimensional (three-dimensional, if you're really good at visualization) problems. However, I advise that you try to algebraically manipulate your problem, because often you will not be able to plot your "equation" on a graph.

6. Jul 28, 2012 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You can regard the stated inequality as a HYPOTHESIS.
    Going through steps for solving it, by simplifying it in a logically valid manner will REVEAL if the hypothesis was true or false.

However, if your initial inequality is too complicated, say non-linear, you might never be able to prove the truth or falsity of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook