What type of equation is this?

In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical problem involving a hyperbola and its relation to quadratic functions and conic sections. The participants discuss various aspects of the problem, including how to solve it and its potential solutions. They also mention the importance of understanding these concepts and brushing up on them.
Const@ntine
Hi! I recently came across this pic:

uDkM7MA.png

Problem is, I have no clue how to tackle this. I didn't find it in any textbooks or anything, so I don't know where to look for it. Sorry if it's a "weird" question, but it's been eating at me for a couple of hours now. I saw it categorized as "high school algebra", but I don't remember seeing this anywhere, so I'm a bit at a loss (I'm not based in the US though, so I guess there's that to take into account).

A link to a wikipedia article or something would be nice, but any help is appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
scottdave said:
It is a Hyperbola. I picked some values for a1, b1, a2, and b2 and you can see a plot here. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(2x+++1)(x+++3)+=+y^2
Oh darn, yeah. It's not a "solve for x" equation, it represents a locus. Thanks!

fresh_42 said:
You might have a look on quadratic functions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_function
and conic sections
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conic_section.
fresh_42 said:
It can also be a parabola and and ellipse, depending on the signs of the parameters.

Yeah, I've gone through these at HS in multiple years. I just got so hanged up on "searching for x" that I forgot about them completely. I really got to brush up on them some time...

Thanks for the help, both of you!

fresh_42 said:
It can also be a parabola and and ellipse, depending on the signs of the parameters.
Oh yeah, if a1 and a2 are opposite signs then you get an ellipse.

you can always look at it abstractly at first at least to get a qualitative idea. so the first observation is that it has degree 2 and is in 2 variables. so it is a conic in the x,y plane. note then that for each choice of x, there are usually two values of y, square roots of the left hand side for that x. Next recall that only non negative numbers have square roots, so there may be no values of y for some values of x, those that make the left side negative. so it seems to be some curve in the plane that projects to the x-axis so that each point on the x-axis has either zero, one, or two points over it, where there is one point iff the left hand side is zero, and none iff the left hand side is negative. thus we could have an ellipse, symmetric about the x axis, or a hyperbola. but apparently not a parabola. wait a minute, if the LHS is just x, we do get a parabola, x = y^2, and this does seem to be possible, as fresh said. ah yes, but you cannot get an ordinary vertical parabola, y=x^2.

Last edited:

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It typically consists of variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What are the different types of equations?

There are several types of equations, including linear equations, quadratic equations, polynomial equations, exponential equations, logarithmic equations, and trigonometric equations. Each type has its own unique characteristics and methods for solving.

3. How do I determine the type of equation?

The type of equation can be determined by looking at the highest power of the variable. For example, a linear equation has a variable with a power of 1, while a quadratic equation has a variable with a power of 2. Additionally, the presence of certain mathematical operations can also indicate the type of equation.

4. What is the purpose of solving equations?

The purpose of solving equations is to find the values of the variables that make the equation true. This is useful in solving real-world problems and understanding the relationships between different quantities.

5. What strategies can I use to solve equations?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve equations, such as isolating the variable, using inverse operations, factoring, and substitution. It is important to choose the most appropriate strategy based on the type of equation and the given information.