1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequality - Proof that √(a^2)<√(b^2) does not imply a<b

1. Aug 22, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone!

First of all thank you for a great forum! I downloaded the app and find it ingenious!

The problem stated above is from "3000 Solved Problems in Calculus".

The book solves this problem simply by stating: "No. Let a=1 and b=-2".

However, I am curious to know if it is possible to provide a more algebraic proof, or of this is the only way to prove it. As I really cannot provide any attempts of my own, I will just ask if anyone know what topic I have to study in order to find the answer. If I fail after that, I will return to you again.

(Maybe it should be mentioned that I am interested in doing Calculus 1,but I want the fundamentals in order first.)

Yours sincerely,
    Aki

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am puzzled by this. Are you saying that this proof is too simple and you want a harder proof?

The problem is to show that "if [itex]\sqrt{a^2}< \sqrt{b^2}[/itex] then a< b" is NOT true. A standard way to show that an "if-then" statement is not true is to give a "counter example". While no number of "examples" will show that such a statement is true one example in which it does not work is enough to show that it is NOT true.

4. Aug 22, 2014 #3
    Ah, cool! I see your point. I'm not really used to proofs at all. Thank you very much for the quick reply!

5. Aug 22, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just to be clear: what the book gave was not a "proof", it was a "disproof". Even if you do not know how to do proofs you may be able to do disproofs, as they are very different concepts.

6. Aug 22, 2014 #5
    I see. Thank you for the clarification!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted