1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequality X^n<Y^n if x<y and n is odd

1. Mar 16, 2015 #1
    Hi All,

Question : Prove that xn<yn , given that x<y and n is odd .

Attempt at solution :
    Assumptions:
    y-x>0
    y2>0
    x2>0

So y2x<y3 & x3<x2y

So i need to prove that x2y<y2x

i.e need to prove

then y2x-x2y>0

then yx(y-x)>0, from assumptions y-x>0 so i need to prove that yx>0, so i have 3 cases

Case 1 : y and x are both positive so the inequality is true and everything is true.
    Case 2: y and x are both negative so the inequality is true again and everything is true
    Case 3 : y is positive and x is negative (as y>x), then the above inequality is not true, but i go back knowing that y is positive and x is negative, then y>0 and x<0 so y3>0 and x3<0 so y3>x3

At the end x3<y3 and by repetition xn <yn

End.

Is this proof true ? is there an easier way.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Looks fine.

4. Mar 17, 2015 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There may be an easier way, by considering 3 cases.
    1. both positive. [itex]y^n-x^n=(y-x)(x^{n-1}+yx^{n-2}+...y^{n-1}) \gt 0[/itex] Since y-x > 0 and series has all positive terms.
    2. y >0 and x < 0. Odd powers have same sign.
    3. both negative. Change sign for both and use case 1 to show [itex]-x^n \gt -y^n[/itex].

5. Mar 18, 2015 #4
    Alternatively, show that f(x) = x2k+1 for all natural numbers k is strictly monotonically increasing.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook