Is There an Easier Method to Prove $n^2>n$ for Negative Integers?

• MHB
  • Thread starter cbarker1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation is discussing whether the statement "$n^2>n$ for each negative integer n" is a theorem or not. The group agrees that it is true and provides counterexamples to support it. One member suggests an easier method to prove it and starts working on a proof by stating that if n is a negative integer, then $n^2>n$. However, they are stuck on the next steps of the proof.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everyone,

Directions: Decide whether the statement is a theorem. If it is a theorem, prove it. if not, give a counterexample.

$$n^2>n$$ for each negative integer n

Examples might work for this inequality

$$n^2-n>0$$

Let n=-1. Then
$$(-1)^2-(-1)>0$$
$$1+1>0$$
$$2>0$$

Let n=-2. Then
$$(-2)^2-(-2)>0$$
$$4+2>0$$
$$6>0$$

Let n=-3. Then
$$(-3)^2-(-3)>0$$
$$9+3>0$$
$$12>0$$

I figure out the pattern of the inequality. So I need to prove it for all cases.

PROOF: Let n be the negative integers. Then,
$$n^2-n>0$$
$$n(n-1)>0$$
$$n>0 \land n>1$$

Here is where I am stuck with my reasoning. Is there better way to prove it?

Thanks
Cbarker1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$ n^2 \ge \sqrt{ n^2 } = |n| > n $ if $ n $ is negative.

greg1313 said:
$ n^2 \ge \sqrt{ n^2 } = |n| > n $ if $ n $ is negative.

Yes, it is true.

But I think there is an easier method to prove this, right?
So, I will rewrite the statement into a condition statement.

If n is a neg. integer, then $n^2>n$.

Work for this statement and I am stuck in this part upcoming:

Proof: Suppose n is negative integer. Then, $n>0$. Then $n-1>0$. So $n-1>n>0$.

What to do next in this proof?

1. How do I know which method to use to prove an inequality?

There are several methods that can be used to prove an inequality, such as direct proof, contradiction, mathematical induction, and using known inequalities. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific inequality and your personal preference.

2. Can I assume certain variables or relationships when proving an inequality?

It is important to clearly state any assumptions or restrictions when proving an inequality. These assumptions should be based on known properties of the variables or relationships given in the inequality.

3. How do I know if my proof is correct?

To ensure the correctness of your proof, it is important to carefully follow the logical steps and make sure they are supported by mathematical reasoning. It can also be helpful to check your proof with a few numerical examples.

4. What should I do if I am unable to prove the inequality?

If you are unable to prove the inequality, it is important to carefully review your assumptions, method, and logic. It can also be helpful to seek advice from others or try a different approach.

5. Is it necessary to use complicated algebra or calculus to prove an inequality?

Not necessarily. While some inequalities may require advanced mathematical techniques, others may simply require basic algebraic manipulations or logical reasoning. It is important to choose a method that is appropriate and efficient for the specific inequality at hand.