Infected from Dog Hair - Have You Experienced This?

  • Thread starter Thread starter junglebeast
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hair
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
junglebeast
Messages
514
Reaction score
2
I just cleaned out the vacuum cleaner which was filled with dog hair. It reeked of dog when I opened it up. A few seconds later I felt itchy in several places..I figured it was just fine dust particles that were irritating my skin. Then I went into the bathroom and saw that my skin had reacted to it more like it was poison ivy or something. As far as I know I'm not allergic to dogs...never sneeze around them, and my roommate (who is a vet) says his dog has never had flees. Any ideas what might cause this? I'm not asking for a diagnosis, just wondering if anyone has experienced this sort of thing before.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
It sounds like you're allergic to dog dander.

- Warren
 
Ivan Seeking said:
There are all sort of things in vacuum dust.
Including dust mites feeding on the dog dander. Lots of people are allergic to dust mites (or perhaps their droppings).
 
turbo-1 said:
Including dust mites feeding on the dog dander. Lots of people are allergic to dust mites (or perhaps their droppings).

Some of the numbers related to pillows and bedding is sickening. There was one study that showed that really old pillows can be as much as 50% dust mite, by weight.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Some of the numbers related to pillows and bedding is sickening. There was one study that showed that really old pillows can be as much as 50% dust mite, by weight.

I had heard 30%...which is equally sickening. But I just bought all new pillows and comforter and bed so that's out of my head!
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Some of the numbers related to pillows and bedding is sickening. There was one study that showed that really old pillows can be as much as 50% dust mite, by weight.

and dust mite poop.


One of the mattress stores out here has been exploiting that data in their commercials. There was one that said a mattress would more than double in weight in 7 years because of dust mites.
 
I imagine the weight would also increase due to sweat and other foreign matter secreted from skin pores..
 
Every matteress should have a matteress cover (preferably waterproof...no, it doesn't have to be like a vinyl cover, they make very nice, soft waterproof ones). And wash the covers as often as you wash the sheets, with hot water. I buy a new one every year or so.

New pillows every year, too...although I've not been happy with the waterproof pillow covers I've found. They're stiff and get too hot.

These steps cut down on the mite population sharing your sleeping quarters.
 
Math Is Hard said:
and dust mite poop.

You are correct. That is what I should have said.
 
lisab said:
Every matteress should have a matteress cover (preferably waterproof...no, it doesn't have to be like a vinyl cover, they make very nice, soft waterproof ones). And wash the covers as often as you wash the sheets, with hot water. I buy a new one every year or so.

New pillows every year, too...although I've not been happy with the waterproof pillow covers I've found. They're stiff and get too hot.

These steps cut down on the mite population sharing your sleeping quarters.

I think I need more dust mites to fill out my pillows. I have feather pillows (I have the fiber fill ones for guests with allergies, but I can't sleep on those hard pillows) and they all seem to lose their filling over time. There's no way I'm replacing feather pillows every year, they're too expensive, but they sure do seem to shrink a lot in a very short amount of time.
 
Moonbear said:
I think I need more dust mites to fill out my pillows. I have feather pillows (I have the fiber fill ones for guests with allergies, but I can't sleep on those hard pillows) and they all seem to lose their filling over time. There's no way I'm replacing feather pillows every year, they're too expensive, but they sure do seem to shrink a lot in a very short amount of time.

:smile: Hmm...there may be a limited, but lucrative, market in dust-mite-poop pillows, haha.

I know I'm lucky, I have a (urm, well-to-do) family member who buys pillows for everyone for Christmas. Everyone loves it, and it simplifies her shopping.