[medical] What just happened to me? After waking from a nap I

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medical
In summary, the individual had a class from 10 to 1 and felt extremely exhausted after getting home. They took a nap and woke up feeling like they would never get up. After eating, they experienced pulsing temples, feeling warm, and nausea. They went outside for fresh air and vomited twice before feeling better. They then started sweating profusely and feeling like their skin was on fire. The conversation ends with a suggestion to see a doctor or visit an urgent care facility. Overall, it is recommended to seek medical attention to determine the cause of these symptoms.
1MileCrash
Today, I had class from 10 to 1. I was extremely exausted after getting home (don't know why, its my shortest day) and went take a nap. I fell asleep instantly.

After napping for a while, I felt like I never was going to get up. My roommate was cooking a beef stew so I decided to get up and eat to feel a bit better. I got up relatively quick.

Right as I was fixing my plate, my temples started pulsing and I felt really warm all over. And I felt queasy, so I went to the bathroom where someone was running the dryer. It was super hot in there and when the heat hit me I felt terrible. So I went outside and sat down for some fresh air and vomited twice, but it wasn't much at all.

After I vomited I felt horrible, it felt like my skin was on fire and I didn't move or look at anything because I didn't want to induce vomitting again.

I started sweating, all over. It wasn't beads of sweat, it was just a film of slimy sweat everywhere and my shirt was soaked.

After sitting outside in the fresh air for about 20 minutes I felt "ok." This is honestly what neo must have felt like when he was first was disconnected from the matrix.

Cliffnotes:
Woke up from comatose nap
sweating profusely
vomiting
skin on fire.

Any ideas?

Biology news on Phys.org
Please see a doctor. We do not give out medical advice on this forum.

Yes, please go see your doctor -- do you use the health clinic on campus? Are they still open now, or have they closed for the day? If closed, I'd still suggest that you visit your local Urgent Care facility. There are lots of things that could have caused this, and it's important for you to know what it was.

There are several possibilities as berkeman indicated. Dehydration (or heat exhaustion) is a possibility.
Heat exhaustion is a heat-related illness that may occur after you've been exposed to high temperatures for several days and have developed dehydration, which is an inadequate or imbalanced replacement of the fluids and electrolytes you've lost through excessive perspiration.
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/heat-exhaustion

See if the symptoms describe one's condition. And do see a doctor.

Based on the symptoms described, it is possible that you may have experienced a severe case of heat exhaustion or heat stroke. This can occur when the body is unable to regulate its temperature and becomes overheated. The sudden change in temperature from the hot bathroom to the cooler outside air may have triggered your body's response to cool down, resulting in the sweating and vomiting. It is important to seek medical attention if these symptoms persist or worsen, as heat exhaustion and heat stroke can be serious and even life-threatening. It is also important to stay hydrated and avoid prolonged exposure to high temperatures to prevent these types of episodes in the future.

1. What could have caused me to wake up from my nap feeling disoriented?

There are several possible causes for feeling disoriented after waking up from a nap. One possibility is a condition known as sleep inertia, which occurs when you wake up suddenly from a deep sleep. Other potential causes include dehydration, low blood sugar, or sleep disorders such as sleep apnea.

2. Why do I sometimes feel more tired after taking a nap?

Naps can provide a quick burst of energy, but they can also leave you feeling more tired than before. This is because napping can disrupt your natural sleep cycle, making it harder for your body to fall into a deep, restorative sleep. Additionally, some people may feel groggy after napping due to sleep inertia or because they slept for too long.

3. Is it normal to experience vivid dreams during a nap?

Yes, it is normal to experience vivid dreams during a nap. This is because napping can often lead to a state of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is when we typically experience the most intense and memorable dreams. However, if you are experiencing frequent or disturbing dreams during naps, it may be a sign of a sleep disorder.

4. Can napping be harmful to my overall sleep schedule?

Napping can have both positive and negative effects on your sleep schedule. While a short nap can provide a quick energy boost, longer naps can disrupt your natural sleep cycle and make it harder for you to fall asleep at night. It is generally recommended to limit naps to 20-30 minutes to avoid negatively impacting your sleep schedule.

5. How can I improve the quality of my naps?

To improve the quality of your naps, try to create a comfortable and relaxing sleep environment. This can include using a comfortable pillow and blanket, blocking out noise and light, and ensuring a moderate temperature. Additionally, sticking to a consistent nap schedule and limiting naps to 20-30 minutes can also help improve the quality of your naps.