Infinite cyclic groups isomorphic to Z

In summary: OK, how about this: if ker(f)=<m>, try to define an explicit isomorphism from Z/<m> onto G (use f). If the kernel of f is non-trivial, then:it is shown that [k] --> a^k is an isomorphism between Zm and G, but this means that G is a finite cyclic group
radou
Homework Helper
I'm currently going through Hungerford's book "Algebra", and the first proof I found a bit confusing is the proof of the theorem which states that every infinite cyclic group is isomorphic to the group of integers (the other part of the theorem states that every finite cyclic group of order m is isomorphic to the group Zm, but I understood that part).

So, if G = <a> is some infinite cyclic group, then the mapping f : Z --> G with the formula f(k) = a^k is clearly an epimorphism. To prove that it's an isomorphism (i.e. that Z is isomorphic to G), one needs to show that f is a monomorphism, too. That's where I'm stuck. I know that f is injective iff Ker(f) = {0}, so I somehow need to show that Ker(f) = {0}.

So, by definition, Ker(f) = {k in Z | a^k = e}. Suppose Ker(f) is non-trivial. Ker(f) is a subgroup of the integers Z, and hence it is cyclic, infinite and generated with m, where m is the least positive integer in it, so Ker(f) = <m>.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a^k=e, what can you say about the order of a?

morphism said:
If a^k=e, what can you say about the order of a?

Well, the next theorem states that, if a has infinite order, then a^k = e iff k = 0, and hence, everything is clear. But, there is no proof for this theorem, it merely says that it is "an immediate consequence of the former theorem (the one I'm trying to prove).

OK, how about this: if ker(f)=<m>, try to define an explicit isomorphism from Z/<m> onto G (use f).

I got to run. Hopefully this'll be good enough!

morphism said:
OK, how about this: if ker(f)=<m>, try to define an explicit isomorphism from Z/<m> onto G (use f).

I got to run. Hopefully this'll be good enough!

Well, this is how the proof in the book goes on - it is shown that [k] --> a^k is an isomorphism between Zm and G, but this means that G is a finite cyclic group, doesn't it? I still don't inderstand how it's proved for infinite cyclic groups. Actually, the order of G isn't mentioned in any part of the proof. I seem to be missing something big here.

But that's exactly it - if the kernel of f isn't trivial, then G cannot be infinite.

morphism said:
But that's exactly it - if the kernel of f isn't trivial, then G cannot be infinite.

Forgive my (probable) stupidity, but why does this hold? Intuitive, it is somehow clear to me, but then again, why couldn't a^k = e, for some non zero k hold and G still be infinite?

If the kernel of f is non-trivial, then:
radou said:
it is shown that [k] --> a^k is an isomorphism between Zm and G, but this means that G is a finite cyclic group

So...

This is so utterly trivial that I cannot believe it needs a discussion.

G is infinite and cyclic and G=<a>, i.e. G is the set of all integer powers of a if written multiplicatively. So in what way is the map

a^k ---> k

not a clear isomorphism? All powers of a are distinct.

morphism said:
If the kernel of f is non-trivial, then:

So...

I just realized that this is more a matter of logic than of math. Thanks. :smile:

1. What is an infinite cyclic group?

An infinite cyclic group is a mathematical structure that consists of a single element that can be multiplied by itself an infinite number of times to create all the other elements in the group. It is denoted by the symbol Z and is commonly known as the group of integers.

2. How are infinite cyclic groups isomorphic to Z?

Infinite cyclic groups are isomorphic to Z because they have the same structure and behave in the same way. This means that they have the same number of elements, the same operation (multiplication), and the same relationships between elements.

3. What are the properties of infinite cyclic groups?

Infinite cyclic groups have several key properties, including closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element. They also have a cyclic property, which means that any element in the group can be expressed as a power of the generator element.

4. How are infinite cyclic groups used in mathematics?

Infinite cyclic groups are used in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, algebra, and topology. They serve as a fundamental building block for more complex mathematical structures and play a crucial role in understanding symmetry, patterns, and relationships between different elements.

5. Can infinite cyclic groups be visualized?

While infinite cyclic groups cannot be visualized in the same way as finite groups, they can be represented as an infinite line with the generator element at the origin. Each element in the group can be seen as a point on this line, with the distance from the origin representing the power of the generator element.