Infinite groups with elements of finite order

In summary, the conversation discusses examples of infinite groups with elements of finite order. Two examples are given, the circle group U(1) and the direct sum of groups Z(+)Z/2. The group H=G x Z is also mentioned as a construction for elements of finite order. It is noted that any rational multiple of pi will have finite order in these groups.
eddyski3
Can anyone think of an example of an infinite group that has elements with a finite order?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Infinite", as in having an infinite number of elements? The circle group U(1) comes to mind, having all of the cyclic groups Z_n as subgroups.

How about (0,1) , in Z(+)Z/2 ?

Yes, as in having an infinite number of elements. What if we wanted a group with order infinity that had a relatively small number of elements of finite order?

Ben:
I imagine eddy wants the elements to have finite order under the operation of the ambient group, not under the operation of the subgroups.

Bacle said:
Ben:
I imagine eddy wants the elements to have finite order under the operation of the ambient group, not under the operation of the subgroups.

But in my example they are the same. For example, [itex]e^{i \pi /4}[/itex] has finite order in U(1), while [itex]e^{i \pi / \sqrt{2}}[/itex] has infinite order.

How does the element 1 have finite order in the group you described Bacle?

eddyski3 said:
Yes, as in having an infinite number of elements. What if we wanted a group with order infinity that had a relatively small number of elements of finite order?

Yet another construction is to take any finite group G and construct the group [itex]H = G \times \mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Then H has elements of finite order given by (g, 0), and all elements of the form (g, z) for [itex]z \neq 0[/itex] have infinite order.

Can you explain this further Ben? The way I see it, since G is finite, when you add two elements of H the result might not be in H.

Eddyski3:

The group Z(+)Z/2 is the direct sum of groups, which carries the operation of the first group in the first component, and the operation of the second group in the second component, so that:

(a,b)+(a',b'):= (a+'Za', b+'Z/2b') , so you add the first

components as if you were in Z, and the other components as if you were in Z/2,

so (0,1)+(0,1)=(0+0,1+1)=(0,0).

Ben:
You're right, I missed your point; any rational multiple of pi will have finite order.

Last edited:

1. What is an infinite group with elements of finite order?

An infinite group with elements of finite order is a mathematical structure that consists of an infinite number of elements, each of which has a finite order. This means that when an element is multiplied by itself a certain number of times, it will eventually result in the identity element of the group.

2. What is the significance of infinite groups with elements of finite order?

Infinite groups with elements of finite order have important applications in various areas of mathematics and physics, including group theory, number theory, and quantum mechanics. They also have connections to the study of symmetry and patterns.

3. Can all elements in an infinite group have finite order?

No, not all elements in an infinite group have finite order. There can be elements in an infinite group that have infinite order, meaning that when multiplied by themselves any number of times, they will not result in the identity element of the group.

4. How do you determine the order of an element in an infinite group?

The order of an element in an infinite group can be determined by finding the smallest positive integer n such that when the element is multiplied by itself n times, it results in the identity element of the group. This is known as the order of the element.

5. Are there any real-life examples of infinite groups with elements of finite order?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of infinite groups with elements of finite order. One common example is the group of rotations in three-dimensional space, where the elements represent rotations by a certain angle around a fixed axis. These rotations have finite order, as they can only be repeated a certain number of times before returning to the starting position.