Infinite Sequences of Sines

In summary, the conversation focused on the importance of being an expert summarizer and not responding to questions, but instead providing a concise summary of content. The speaker emphasized the need to refrain from adding any additional information or opinions, and to simply stick to summarizing the main points. This skill was seen as valuable in many situations, including presentations, meetings, and written reports.
Petek said:
Therefore, Inf(S) = 0. There are plenty of other irrationals such that Inf(S) = 0. You recognize that's an issue, but how do you handle it? Can you even prove that ##S = \{k' = k\pi -[k\pi]: k \in \mathbb N \}## doesn't have Inf (S)= 0?
The whole point is that ##\inf(S) = 0## for all irrationals; as I've just proved. And that proves the original lemma.

Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
First, we need to prove that for any irrational number ##x## and ##\epsilon > 0##, there exist integers ##k, n## such that ##|kx - n| < \epsilon##. I thought this would follow from the density of the rationals, but I haven't found a proof yet.

Let's assume that holds. And, in particular, applies to ##\pi##.

But, we still need a proof of the initial lemma.
I don't understand why you needed to prove it for any ##x## instead of just ##\pi## which is what you are interested in using. If you can show you can construct the sequence around ##\pi## then its existence is proved isn't it?

bob012345 said:
I don't understand why you needed to prove it for any ##x## instead of just ##\pi## which is what you are interested in using. If you can show you can construct the sequence around ##\pi## then its existence is proved isn't it?
It amounted to the same thing. The irrationality of ##\pi## was the key property, so it seemed logical to generalise.

Likes bob012345
I realize the proof does not require it but I'm still interested in seeing an actual algorithm or method to generate the ##m_i's##. I tried but ran into a mental block.

Alternative method:

Define [itex]f: \mathbb{N} \to S^1 : m \mapsto (\cos m , \sin m)[/itex]. Then by sequential compactness of [itex]S^1[/itex], [itex](f(m))_{m\in\mathbb{N}}[/itex] has a convergent subsequence [itex](f(m_n))_{n\in\mathbb{N}}[/itex]. Then for positive integer [itex]\ell[/itex] let [tex]
P_\ell: S^1 \to S^1 : (\cos \theta, \sin \theta) \mapsto (\cos \ell \theta, \sin \ell \theta)[/tex] which is a polynomial of degree [itex]\ell[/itex] and so continuous. Hence [itex](P_{\ell}\circ f)(m_n) = (\cos(\ell m_n), \sin(\ell m_n))[/itex] converges.

bob012345 said:
I realize the proof does not require it but I'm still interested in seeing an actual algorithm or method to generate the ##m_i's##. I tried but ran into a mental block.

EDIT: I got confused with a different thread concerning convergence of [itex]\sin^2(a_n)[/itex], which has period [itex]\pi[/itex]; however the principle is clear.

Python:
import numpy as np
a = np.zeros(6,dtype=int)
a[0] = 1
xprev = a[0] % np.pi
# Constructing a sequence such that x_{m_n} tends to a multiple of pi:
for n in range(1,6):
    m = a[n-1] + 1
    while True:
        x = m % np.pi
        if min(x, np.pi-x) < min(xprev, np.pi-xprev):
            a[n] = m
            xprev = x
            break
        m = m + 1

a
array([     1,      3,     22,    333,    355, 103993])
np.sin(a)**2
array([7.08073418e-01, 1.99148567e-02, 7.83456762e-05, 7.78129716e-05,
       9.08682039e-10, 3.65931487e-10])

Last edited:
Likes bob012345
PeroK said:
Here's a full proof:

Let ##x## be a positive irrational and consider the infimum of the set ##S = \{k' = kx -[kx]: k \in \mathbb N \}##. We need to show that ##s = \inf(S) = 0##.

Assume ##0 < s < 1##. We can find ##k_1## such that$$k_1x = n_1 + s + \epsilon$$where ##\epsilon < s## and ##s + \epsilon < 1##.

Now, we can find ##k_2 > k_1## such that $$k_2x = n_2 + s + \delta$$where ##\delta < \frac \epsilon 2##. Note to ensure that ##k_2 > k_1##, we look for ##\delta < \min\{\frac \epsilon 2, 1'-s, 2'-s \dots k'_1-s\}##.

Moreover:$$(2k_2 - k_1)x = 2n_2 + 2s + 2\delta - n_1 - s - \epsilon = 2n_2 - n_1 + s + 2\delta - \epsilon$$This is a contradiction, as$$0 < s + 2\delta - \epsilon < s$$and hence we have a member of ##S## less than the infimum. The conclusion is that ##\inf(S) = 0##, as required.
There is a little more work to cover the case where ##s \in S##. First, ##s \ne x-[x]##, since ##x- [x], 2x -[2x], 3x-[3x] \dots## cannot increase indefinitely and when it overflows ##1## and decreases we must have ##nx - {nx} < x - [x]##, because ##x- [x]## is effectively the increment each time.

And, if ##s = nx - [nx]##, then we take ##nx## as our starting irrational with the same ##s##, which is impossible, by the above argument.

Actually, the above tidy-up gives an idea for a simpler elementary proof. In outline, we start with ##x - [x]##, then find a sequence ##n_k## such that ##n_{k+1}x - [n_{k+1}x] < n_kx - [n_kx]##. This sequence is bounded below, hence converges and hence the difference in terms in the sequence must tend to zero. That gives the required sequence.

bob012345 said:
I assume you mean radians? If it were interpreted as degrees it would have the trivial solution ##sin(l m_i ) = 0## for all ##l, m_i =360 i## with ##i= 1 ,2,3...∞## converging to zero.
OP, pls answer this. I was all excited that I found an easy solution.

paige turner said:
OP, pls answer this. I was all excited that I found an easy solution.
Hi @paige turner, please read post #12.

I didn't expect that this POTW would invite so much attention and discussion. Thanks to all for participating!

Since the sequence ##\{\sin n\}_{n = 1}^\infty## is bounded, by the Bolzano Weierstrass theorem it has a convergent subsequence ##\{\sin n_1(k)\}_{k = 1}^\infty##. The sequence ##\{\sin 2n_1(k)\}_{k = 1}^\infty## is bounded, so it admits a further subsequence ##\{\sin 2n_2(k)\}_{k = 1}^\infty##. Continuing the process, we extract a sequence of sequences ##\{n_1(k)\}_{k = 1}^\infty, \{n_2(k)\}_{k = 1}^\infty,\ldots## such that for every positive integer ##\ell## the sequence ##\{\sin \ell n_\ell(k)\}_{k = 1}^\infty## converges. Define ##m_k = n_k(k)## for ##k = 1, 2, 3,\ldots##. Then ##m_1 < m_2 < \cdots##, and given a positive integer ##\ell##, the sequence ##\{\sin \ell m_k\}_{k = 1}^\infty## is eventually a subsequence of the convergent sequence ##\{\sin \ell n_\ell(k)\}_{k = 1}^\infty##, so it converges.