1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Series problem with cos involved.

1. Jul 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to determine whether the series converges or diverges.

[itex]\sum (cos^2 (n)) / n^2 +1 [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Suppose An and Bn are series with positive terms. If the limit of An over Bn as n approaches infinity equals C, and C is a finite number greater than 0, then both series are coupled and they both either converge or diverge.

3. The attempt at a solution

First I let An to be cos^2 n / n^2 + 1 and Bn = cos^2 n / n^2. Therefore, Bn is greater than An for all n. I first used the sequence divergence test obtaining zero, meaningless. Then I used the Limit Comparison Test and the result was 1, which is greater than 0, meaning that they are coupled. Then I was trying to find the improper integral of cos^2 x / x^2, but I'm stuck because I don't really have anything to substitute there. I can't remember solving any integral like this one. I was wondering what other method I could use at this point. I know the series converges but I need to prove that. The only information I have from the limit comparison test is that my An and Bn are coupled. Should I find another Bn? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2011 #2
    I just realized I don't even meet the requirements to do integral test since cosine is not a continuous function. I apologize. I figure I have to change the Bn then. I would have to find a larger function than An that converges.

4. Jul 24, 2011 #3
    Although i dont get what ur talking about, may i ask u what is the upperbound of [tex]cos^{2}(n)[/tex]?

5. Jul 24, 2011 #4
  6. Jul 24, 2011 #5
    ok Thanks I get it now. I didn't think I could use 1 / n^2 as my greater function. Then I can just use p-series at this point. I was trying to be as clear as possible, I've only been on the website for a couple of days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook