1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series sum of (-1)^n/lnx

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find if the series is absolutely convergent, conditionally convergent, or divergent.

The sum from two to infinity of (-1)^n/lnx.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to integrate 1/lnx, so that failed. The ratio and root test don't seem to simplify matters any further. I wasn't sure of anyway I could use the comparison test or limit ratio test. I used Alternate Series Test so I at least know that it's convergent, but I don't know if it's conditionally convergent or absolutely convergent.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2
    Try thinking some more about comparision tests.
  4. Jul 21, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is an alternating series (that's crucial) and ln(x) is an increasing function. What does that tell you?
  5. Jul 21, 2008 #4
    Hm, would it be reasonable to say that because n > ln(n) for all n from 2 to infinity, 1/ln(n) > 1/x, which is divergent, thus making 1/ln(n) divergent and the sum from 2 to infinity of ((-1)^n)/ln(n) conditionally convergent? It didn't really occur to me to compare a transcendental function to an algebraic function (if it's even legal, anyway). Thanks for the help (assuming my solution was okay)!
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  6. Jul 21, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the "alternating series" test says simply that if terms of [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] are alternating in sign and |an| is decreasing, then the series converges. In fact, it is easy to see that, given any N, the entire sum lies between the partial sum up to N and the partial sum up to N+1.
  7. Jul 21, 2008 #6
    But would that test be useful if you're distinguishing between whether something is absolutely convergent or conditionally convergent?
  8. Jul 21, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It will possibly tell you if it's conditionally convergent. You'll need another test to answer whether is absolutely convergent or not. Something like the integral test or a comparison test.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?