Infinite Square Well Expansion: Mass m in Ground State

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the wave function for a particle in the ground state on an infinite square well that suddenly expands to twice its original size. The correct answer for ##\Psi_{n}## is ##\sqrt{\frac{2}{2a}} sin(\frac{n\pi}{2a})##, but the individual discussing it mistakenly used ##\sqrt{\frac{1}{a}} sin(\frac{n\pi}{2a})##. This mistake can be attributed to a simplification error in the calculation of the integral.
Irishdoug
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
See below
A particle of mass m is in the ground state on the infinite square well. Suddenly the well expends to twice it's original size (x going from 0 to a, to 0 to 2a) leaving the wave function monetarily undisturbed.

On answering, for ##\Psi_{n}## I got ##\Psi_{n}## = ##\sqrt{\frac{1}{a}} sin(\frac{n\pi}{2a})## however in the answer booklet ##\Psi_{n}## = ##\sqrt{\frac{2}{2a}} sin(\frac{n\pi}{2a})##. I am unsure why this is. I employed the boundary conditions that ##\Psi(0) = \Psi(2a)##. As such ##k = \frac{n\pi}{2a}##; ##E = \frac{\pi^{2}\hbar^{2} n^{2}}{8ma^{2}}##

My integral was ## A^{2}\int_{0}^{2a} sin^{2}(\frac{n\pi}{2a}) dx = 1##. Thus, ##A^{2}a=1## ; ##A## = ##\frac{1}{a}##.

##\Psi(x,0) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{\pi x}{a})## as always.

I cannot figure where I have gone wrong? I can post a link to the answer if need be. Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
$$\sqrt{\frac{2}{2a}} \sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{2a}\right) = \sqrt{\frac{\not{\!2}}{\not{\!2}a}} \sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{2a}\right) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{a}} \sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{2a}\right) $$

Likes berkeman and Irishdoug
Gaussian97 said:
$$\sqrt{\frac{2}{2a}} \sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{2a}\right) = \sqrt{\frac{\not{\!2}}{\not{\!2}a}} \sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{2a}\right) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{a}} \sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{2a}\right) $$
**Facepalm

• Haha
Likes berkeman

1. What is an infinite square well expansion?

An infinite square well expansion is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined within a square well potential. The potential is infinite within the boundaries of the well and zero outside of it.

2. What does "mass m in ground state" mean in the context of an infinite square well expansion?

In the context of an infinite square well expansion, "mass m in ground state" refers to a particle with a specific mass (m) that is in its lowest possible energy state within the square well potential. This is also known as the ground state of the particle.

3. How does the mass of a particle affect its behavior in an infinite square well expansion?

The mass of a particle affects its behavior in an infinite square well expansion by determining the allowed energy levels and the corresponding wavefunctions. A heavier particle will have a higher energy and a shorter wavelength compared to a lighter particle in the same well.

4. What is the significance of the ground state in an infinite square well expansion?

The ground state in an infinite square well expansion is significant because it represents the lowest possible energy state of the particle. This state has the most stable and well-defined energy, and all other energy states are multiples of this ground state energy.

5. Can the ground state of a particle in an infinite square well expansion be changed?

No, the ground state of a particle in an infinite square well expansion cannot be changed. This is because the particle is confined within the boundaries of the well and cannot escape, therefore it will always remain in its lowest energy state. However, the energy of the ground state can be changed by altering the dimensions of the well or by introducing external forces.