1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Square Well Frequency of Oscillation

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle in an infinite square well potential that has the initial wave-function:
    Ψ(x,0) = (1/√2) [Ψ_1(x) + Ψ_2(x)]

where Ψ_1(x) and Ψ_2(x) are the ground and first excited state wavefunctions. We notice that <x> oscillates in time. FIND the frequency of oscillation

2. Relevant equations
    So,
    <x> = expected value integral over 0 to L
    Ψ_1(x) = √(2/L) sin(πx/L)e^(-iE/ћt)
    Ψ_2(x) = √(2/L) sin(2πx/L)e^(-iE/ћt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved:
    <x> = [(1/2)-(16/(9π^2))]L
    (Not only did I do this by hand but I also checked it against mathematica so this is definitely not wrong)
    Real question is, WHAT is the frequency of oscillation actually? I have NO idea what the question is asking.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What happened to the exponential time factors. Hint: E is not the same in Ψ_1 and Ψ_2.

4. Oct 12, 2015 #3
    Ah so they are different. Okay so what I did, which I guess is wrong was cancel the two exponential time factors since they were e^(-iEt/hbar) and e^(-iEt/hbar)
    In that case then still, what exactly is the oscillating frequency? omega?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  5. Oct 13, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, the time factors are different and so they won't cancel. You should recalculate <x>. You will get a time dependence from which you can deduce the oscillation frequency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted