Step potential, continuous wave function proof

In summary, the task is to prove that the wave function and its first derivative are continuous at every point of discontinuity for a step potential, using the Heaviside step function. The approach involves expressing the potential as V(x)=V_0Θ(x) and showing that the limit of the integrals of the first and second derivatives of the wave function approach 0. Another suggestion is to assume that the wave function is finite on the right side, which would justify the assumption that the first derivative is continuous.
ope211

Homework Statement

I am being asked to show that the wave function ψ and dψ/dx are continuous at every point of discontinuity for a step potential. I am asked to make use of the Heaviside step function in my proof, and to prove this explicitly and in detail.

Homework Equations

d^2ψ/dx^2=2m(V(x)-E)/ħ^2Ψ
Θ(x)=1 if x>0, 0 if x<0

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed this meant that the potential can be written as V(x)=V_0Θ(x). Therefore, if x>0,
d^2ψ/dx^2=2m(V_0-E)/ħ^2Ψ
and if x<0:
d^2ψ/dx^2=2m(-E)/ħ^2Ψ

Now, I figured that I need to show ψ_1(0)=ψ_2(0) and the two first derivatives equal each other. So:
lim ε->0 (∫ d^2ψ_1/dx^2 dx (from -ε to +ε)=∫dx ψ_1(x)2m(V_0-E)/ħ^2 (from -ε to +ε))
and
lim ε->0 (∫ d^2ψ_2/dx^2 dx (from -ε to +ε)=∫dx ψ_2(x)2m(-E)/ħ^2 (from -ε to +ε))

Taking the limit of these integrals should show that they all go to 0, but I have no idea if this is sufficient. I do not know of any other way to show this.

Physics news on Phys.org
One suggestion I have is to use the fact that the second derivative of the wave function is always finite. (You must show and/or assume the wave function is finite on the right side). Even though the second derivative is discontinuous, if it remains finite, the first derivative, which is the integral of the second derivative, will be continuous. I don't know if my suggestion is a sufficient proof. If it is, the homework problem is almost too simple, and should simply be presented as part of the lecture. ## \\ ## According to the Physics Forums rules, homework helpers are not supposed to provide the complete answer, but this one could have you spinning your wheels trying to do an elaborate proof, when the solution of this potential problem makes the assumption that the first derivative of the wave function, along with the wave function, is continuous in order to solve the boundary problem. You can't really solve the boundary problem without making this assumption, and the assumption is justified by the reason I gave above.

1. What is a step potential?

A step potential is a sudden change in the potential energy of a particle. It can occur when a particle moves from one region of space to another, where the potential energy is different.

2. How is a step potential related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a step potential can be used to model the behavior of a particle encountering a sudden change in its environment. This allows us to study the wave-like nature of particles and understand how they behave in different potential energy regions.

3. What is a continuous wave function?

A continuous wave function is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of a quantum particle in a particular region of space. It is used to calculate the probability of finding the particle at a given location and time.

4. How can one prove the existence of a continuous wave function in a step potential?

The continuous wave function in a step potential can be proven by solving the Schrödinger equation for the potential, which results in a continuous function that satisfies the boundary conditions at the step. This function is then used to calculate the probability of finding the particle in the different regions of the step potential.

5. What are the applications of understanding step potential and continuous wave function?

Understanding step potential and continuous wave function is crucial in various fields such as quantum computing, material science, and nanotechnology. It allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of particles, which can help in the development of new technologies and materials.