Can An Infinite Power Set Be Defined and Is it a Set?

In summary: I don't think that the collection of all possible grammatical pairings of opening and closing braces is a set. It's an element of itself. So I guess that's a no on the set question.
Don Aman
A buddy and I were wondering if there is a way to define a sort of infinite power set in the following way:

You can make an inclusion map from X to P(X) if map each element of X to the singleton set containing it in P(X). Thus you have this chain of maps

[tex]X\subset \mathcal{P}(X) \subset \mathcal{P}(\mathcal{P}(X)) \subset \dotsb \subset \mathcal{P}^n(X)\subset \dotsb[/tex]

is there a limit, in the sense of category theory? Can it simply be the union (of the images under inclusion) of all these sets?

I think probably that construction should exist. The category of sets is complete, so all small limits exist.

On the other hand, if you just think about what the final result of such a process will look like, it doesn't really look like a set. For example, if you start with the empty set, you should get the collection of all possible grammatical pairings of opening and closing braces. I think this collection is not well-founded, i.e. is an element of itself, and is therefore not a set.

So my question is: does this construction work? Is it a limit? And if so, is the result a set?

Physics news on Phys.org
but you're taking a colimit and not a limit.

You can make an inclusion map from X to P(X)

But it's not an inclusion map. :tongue: (It is a monic, though)

Set theoretically, if you have an operator T satisfying S <= T(S), then you can inductively define Tα for any ordinal number α. The value for a limit ordinal is as you guess: simply taking the nested union. I.E.

[tex]T^0(S) = S[/tex]
[tex]T^{\alpha+1}(S) = T(T^\alpha(S))[/tex]
[tex]T^\beta(S) = \bigcup_{\alpha < \beta} T^\alpha(S)[/tex]

(Where β denotes any nonzero limit ordinal)

But, since S is not a subset of P(S), this approach does not work.

Now, as for the colimit in Set, remember that they're only defined up to isomorphism. What you get is merely the least upper bound of the cardinals |X|, |P(X)|, |P2(X)|, ...

Now, there is a (very) useful alternative: use the operator:

[tex]Q(S) := S \cup \mathcal{P}(S)[/tex]

Here, we have that S is a subset of Q(S), so the aforementioned inductive definition works for applying Q ω (= {0, 1, 2, ...}) times. The result is called the superstructure on S (or something like that), and is fairly useful for various things, such as nonstandard analysis.

Last edited:
well I had in mind to make X into a subset of P(X) by identifying each element of X with the singleton set containing it in P(X). Like you do for the direct limit in group theory. But I think your idea of using P(X) + X instead is prettier, and achieves pretty much the same thing.

So it seems pretty straightforward. Why do I think that the resulting object won't be a well-founded set? Hmm

What is an infinitely iterated power set?

An infinitely iterated power set is a mathematical concept that involves repeatedly taking the power set of a set. The power set of a set is the set of all possible subsets of that set. For example, if we have a set {1,2}, the power set would be {{}, {1}, {2}, {1,2}}. When we iterate this process infinitely, the resulting set contains all possible combinations of the original set.

Why is the infinitely iterated power set important?

The infinitely iterated power set has many applications in mathematics and computer science. It is used in set theory, topology, and other areas of mathematics to study infinite sets and their properties. In computer science, it is used to analyze the complexity of algorithms and data structures.

Is the infinitely iterated power set always infinite?

No, the infinitely iterated power set can be finite in some cases. For example, if we start with a finite set, the resulting infinitely iterated power set will also be finite. However, if we start with an infinite set, the resulting set will be infinite as well.

How is the infinitely iterated power set represented?

In mathematics, the infinitely iterated power set is represented by the symbol 𝒫∞, where 𝒫 represents the power set and the ∞ indicates infinite iterations. In computer science, it is often represented using recursion or other algorithms.

What are some properties of the infinitely iterated power set?

The infinitely iterated power set has many interesting properties, including closure under union and intersection operations, as well as the property of being well-ordered. It also has a higher cardinality than the original set, making it a useful tool for studying infinite sets.