Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inflation of singularity at moment of evaporation?

1. Mar 16, 2013 #1
    I have had an idea kicking around in my head for some time now. It all started last summer when I was kayaking down a river and I had stopped in an eddy to relax for a moment. The rate of flow of the water was strong enough to make sizable vortices along the eddy fence around the boulder that was creating the eddy in which I was resting. These vortices reminded me of the similar way in which spacetime is curved into a singularity. Long story short; black holes have been on my mind for almost a year now. I have progressed my understanding through the formation and into the evaporation of the singularity. The fact that some matter/information is lost during the evaporation perplexes me. This does not make sense to me. My suspicion is that when the mass of the singularity reaches a point in which it no longer exceeds the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit the singularity becomes unstable and the remaining mass, which would have been converted to energy by the force of infinite gravity, inflates into a new dimension/universe. This is just an idea of mine. Any input and discussion would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2013 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The singularity problem is largely resolved by LQG. Not that it is a particular attractive, solution, but, a good starting point. The extra dimensions thing appears to be unnecessary background noise, IMO.

4. Mar 16, 2013 #3

martinbn

Science Advisor

Chronos, how does LQG solve the singularity problem?

5. Mar 16, 2013 #4
    I do not feel that LQG correctly solves for a singularity. I have not been able to find a concrete solution that could anyway. I would like to see how it does. As far as I can tell, through quantum mechanics, it could be possible for a singularity to inflate into its own dimension. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  6. Mar 16, 2013 #5
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikodem_Popławski

The link above is in regards to the Poplawski. He is a cosmologist that wrote a torsion based model of a universe inside every blackhole. Although I personally do not agree with his model it may interest you.

His model has two problems I have read counter papers about.
    1) it does not explain early large structure formation.
    2) Does not explain the CMB homogeneous and isotropic measurements.

7. Mar 16, 2013 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are a number of approaches in LQG that are singularity free - e.g.,
    A no-singularity scenario in loop quantum gravity, http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.5765

8. Mar 17, 2013 #7
    Mordred- I have seen his stuff before and I do not agree with his work either. Thank you for your reply, however.

Chronos- Thank you for the link. It looks most interesting.

9. Mar 20, 2013 #8
    Perhaps the spin of a singularity can exceed its gravimetric attraction (at the edge of rotation) making the singularity 'evaporate'? - mini black holes

10. Mar 20, 2013 #9

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, an event horizon cannot spin fast enough to overcome the gravity of its singularity. It can, however, flatten out to become a Kerr-Newman black hole.

11. Mar 21, 2013 #10
    Then its Hawking Radiation?

So supposely Hawking Radiation is responsible for the evaporation in mini-blackhole.?
    How would a Kerr-Newman black hole affect this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook