Question re interpreting MarkScheme - Moments (Edexcel A-level)

In summary: CoM of the beam. Can anyone tell me why this method is invalid?How is the warning exactly phrased? It may be an indirect warning not to ignore the mass of the beam. If the system is in equilibrium, the sum of the moments will be zero with reference to any point. No matter where you choose your reference, you will end up with two equations and two unknowns. Another possible reason for the warning is that if you take the reference point at the CoM of the rod, you will answer part (b) before part (
rsk
Attached is a Q from an AS mechanics paper. I'm perplexed about part (c) in which we are told that the tensions in the two cables are equal.
My physics brain says take moments about the CoM of the beam so eliminating the mass of the beam and making the moments of the two cables equal and opposite, which reduces the problem to a very simple one, and gives the correct answer.

Markscheme warns about 'correct' answers which ignore the mass of the beam and offers 4 different options for taking moments, none of them around the CoM of the beam. Can anyone tell me why this method is invalid?

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 146
  • MS.jpg
    MS.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 141
Science news on Phys.org
How is the warning exactly phrased? It may be an indirect warning not to ignore the mass of the beam. If the system is in equilibrium, the sum of the moments will be zero with reference to any point. No matter where you choose your reference, you will end up with two equations and two unknowns. Another possible reason for the warning is that if you take the reference point at the CoM of the rod, you will answer part (b) before part (a) and they don't want you to do that.

Your method is fine. The simplest explanation would be that whoever wrote that warning had a brain fart.

I just noticed on the requirements for the moments equation that "all terms required." Perhaps your method is acceptable but the solution requires you to explicitly include the term ##100 g(0)##. That, however, would seem inconsistent with the provided expressions as they don't include a term for the moment due to the tension when the lever arm is 0.

Likes rsk
vela said:
Your method is fine. The simplest explanation would be that whoever wrote that warning had a brain fart.

I just noticed on the requirements for the moments equation that "all terms required." Perhaps your method is acceptable but the solution requires you to explicitly include the term ##100 g(0)##. That, however, would seem inconsistent with the provided expressions as they don't include a term for the moment due to the tension when the lever arm is 0.
I tried to be charitable but, after digesting your comments, I'll go with "brain fart."

• Haha
Likes rsk and vela
Thanks both.
I suppoe my method doesn't include those lines above where the vertical forces are balanced - but that's completely unnecessary when we don't need to know T.
I don't like to think that students would be penalised for this - for spotting the most efficient solucion - in an exam.

@kuruman - the warning is just what you see there on the bottom of the markscheme "watch out for "correct" answers which ignore the 100g" - so in other words it's a warning for the markers and not for the students.

Let's hope that this scheme provides just guidelines in an attempt to achieve uniformity and that the markers would recognize a correct solution when they see one. Am I correct in assuming that the takers of this test see just their scores but not the marked papers?

Likes rsk
Schools do have the right to request the papers (or copies) if they want to appeal grades but it's not the norm and there's a fee involved.

I also hope that a decent marker would accept this (or raise it up the chain of command) but the worry is always over who is marking - there are often too few experienced teachers willing to give up their holidays for this and the worry that it's someone else just applying the MS to the letter (that's why they are often so detailed).

I'll try not to worry about it. I must be in a good place at the moment if I can find time to worry about hypotheticals which will probably never happen.

An update. So concerned was I about good students possibly losing marks that I got in touch with the exam board.

They reply that the CoM method is indeed the best, but that some students don't see the best method so other methods have to be included in the MS.

I still think that the CoM method is so simple that the 6 marks are in no way justified and that whoever wrote the paper didn't spot that solution but I have at least been reassured that, at the marking stage, students would not have been penalised.

There has to be a level of trust in the markers and in the belief that if a student obtains the correct numerical answer, one has to examine the solution carefully to determine if it is correct outside the marking criteria. By the same token, students need to document their solutions carefully. Here is an example of a simplified solution to part (c) that eliminates quite a bit of algebra and does not look like any of the suggested solutions.

1. The ropes are symmetrically disposed about the CoM of the rod and have equal tensions.
2. This means that if the ropes are removed and replaced by a pivot at the CoM of the rod, the assembly will remain at equilibrium.
3. The 60g gymnast is 2 m from the pivot whilst the 48g gymnast is at (x - 4) m from the pivot.
Thus, the moment balance equation is $$60g~\text{[N]}\times 2 ~\text{[m]}=48g~\text{[N]} \times (x-4~\text{[m]})\implies x=6.5~\text{m}.$$It is the marker's responsibility to override the various suggested solutions and give full marks for this one with perhaps a bonus for thinking outside the box. However, it behooves the student to provide statements 1 and 2 to justify the equation in 3.

Yes, and I can't see students giving statements 1 and 2 as you write them.
However I will ensure that from now I encourage to show this kind of thinking, albeit briefly
ie take moments about CoM: eliminate 100g force as moment =0; moments of Ts are equal and opposite.

In fact, I will keep this question to use as an example with them of why explicitly stating the steps in the reasoning is so important.

Last edited:
Likes kuruman

1. What is a mark scheme for interpreting moments in Edexcel A-level?

A mark scheme for interpreting moments in Edexcel A-level is a set of guidelines or instructions provided by the exam board to help examiners accurately assess a student's performance on a particular question or task related to moments. It outlines the key points or concepts that students should demonstrate in their answers and provides a breakdown of how marks will be allocated for each point.

2. How can I use a mark scheme to improve my performance on moments questions?

Using a mark scheme to improve your performance on moments questions involves carefully studying the guidelines and understanding what is required for a high-quality answer. You can use the mark scheme as a checklist while practicing moments questions to ensure that you include all the necessary points and meet the criteria for earning full marks. You can also compare your answers to the mark scheme to identify areas for improvement and adjust your approach accordingly.

3. What are the different types of markschemes used for interpreting moments in Edexcel A-level?

There are two main types of markschemes used for interpreting moments in Edexcel A-level: generic and specific. A generic mark scheme provides a broad outline of the key points and concepts that should be included in a student's answer. On the other hand, a specific mark scheme provides more detailed instructions for a particular question or task, including specific calculations or diagrams that should be included in the answer.

4. How are marks allocated in a mark scheme for interpreting moments in Edexcel A-level?

The allocation of marks in a mark scheme for interpreting moments in Edexcel A-level varies depending on the exam board and the specific question. However, in general, marks are allocated based on the accuracy and completeness of the answer. This means that points are awarded for including all the required elements, correct calculations, and clear explanations. Points may also be deducted for errors or omissions.

5. Can I use a mark scheme to challenge my exam results on moments in Edexcel A-level?

Yes, you can use a mark scheme to challenge your exam results on moments in Edexcel A-level. If you believe that your answer meets all the criteria outlined in the mark scheme, you can request a remark of your exam. The exam board will review your answer and determine if any additional marks should be awarded. However, keep in mind that your final grade may increase, decrease, or remain the same after a remark.