Influence of metallicity on effective temperature of star

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Anne-Sylvie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Star Temperature
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
Anne-Sylvie
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. Please tell me if I do some mistake. :)

So, there is my question ; I have search a long time on the web but I don't find any answer...

Why the metallicity influences the effective temperature and the luminosity of a star ?

I read somewhere that the more metallic star, the more opaque the atmosphere. Because there are more transition lines available for photons to be absorbed or something like it.

But I don't see why this implies a change in luminosity or temperature.

Any idea ? Thanks a million ! :)

Have a nice day !
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello QuArK,

Thanks for your answer. The pdf link is interesting.
But I'm searching a more physical and intuitive answer... Why a higher opacity implies a lower effective temperature ?

Edit : I think I have got it !
http://www2.astro.psu.edu/users/rbc/a534/lec18.pdf
On the third page.

Thanks you ! :-)
 
Last edited:
Anne-Sylvie said:
Why a higher opacity implies a lower effective temperature ?

I mean, there's a very simple answer. Imagine you're perfectly transparent, so the opacity is zero. Then all the light escaping is the same light from the core, so the effective temperature if very high. Now imagine you're perfectly opaque, so that no light escapes at all. Then you're effective temperature is zero.