Why does Tc & Teff Differ for Different Types of Stars?

• B
  • Thread starter heavystray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, during a Physics investigation on Tc and Teff of stars, the color temperature (Tc) was found to be significantly higher than the effective temperature (Teff) for hot stars (O and B). For mid temp stars, Tc is still higher than Teff, but the difference is small. However, for cooler stars, Tc is lower than Teff. This discrepancy can be explained by the assumption that both Tc and Teff are calculated based on the stars being blackbodies, but the actual emission of light from the stars may not perfectly follow this model. Additionally, the difference between Tc and Teff varies according to the temperature of the stars.
heavystray
I have a question regarding the results of my Physics investigation on Tc and Teff of stars. I found that the colour temperature that I calculated is significantly higher than the Teff for O and B stars. For mid temp stars, Tc is still more than Teff but the difference in small. But for cooler stars Tc is less than Teff. What i don't understand is, why would Tcolour be any different with Teff since they’re both calculated with an assumption that the stars are blackbodies? And why would the difference between Tc and Teff vary according to the temperature of stars? Thank you in advance. Your reply will be greatly appreciated

Astronomy news on Phys.org
heavystray said:
I have a question regarding the results of my Physics investigation on Tc and Teff of stars. I found that the colour temperature that I calculated is significantly higher than the Teff for O and B stars. For mid temp stars, Tc is still more than Teff but the difference in small. But for cooler stars Tc is less than Teff. What i don't understand is, why would Tcolour be any different with Teff since they’re both calculated with an assumption that the stars are blackbodies? And why would the difference between Tc and Teff vary according to the temperature of stars? Thank you in advance. Your reply will be greatly appreciated
A black body emitter with the same area under the curve vs a black body with the same slope in visible (or other standard) wavelengths.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/color-temperature-and-effective-temperature-of-a-star.708815/

Wikipedia:
300px-A0V-blackbody_SPD_comparison.png

Attachments

• 300px-A0V-blackbody_SPD_comparison.png
    300px-A0V-blackbody_SPD_comparison.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 938

1. Why do some stars have different surface temperatures than others?

Surface temperature is determined by the amount of energy a star emits. This can vary depending on the star's size, age, and composition. For example, larger stars tend to have higher surface temperatures because they have more mass and therefore produce more energy. Additionally, the composition of a star can affect its temperature. Stars with more heavy elements in their atmosphere tend to have higher temperatures.

2. How does a star's mass affect its surface temperature?

A star's mass is directly related to its surface temperature. The more massive the star, the higher its temperature will be. This is because more massive stars have more gravitational pull, which compresses the core and increases the rate of nuclear fusion. This results in higher energy output and a higher surface temperature.

3. What role does a star's age play in its surface temperature?

A star's age is also a factor in its surface temperature. Younger stars tend to have higher surface temperatures because they are still in the process of contracting and heating up. As a star ages and uses up its fuel, it begins to cool and its surface temperature decreases.

4. Do different types of stars have different surface temperatures?

Yes, different types of stars can have vastly different surface temperatures. For example, red dwarf stars are smaller and cooler than other types of stars, while blue giants are much larger and hotter. The color and temperature of a star can also be used to classify it into different spectral types.

5. How do scientists measure a star's surface temperature?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure a star's surface temperature, such as analyzing its spectrum or measuring its color index. The most common method is to use a star's color index, which is the difference in brightness between two different wavelengths of light. This can then be used to calculate the star's surface temperature using a mathematical relationship known as Wien's Law.