Information on first planets formed in the universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the timescale for the first planets in the Universe and the requirements for their formation. It is suggested that supernovae are necessary for the creation of heavy elements, but it is unclear if this applies to gas giants as well. The conversation also touches on the potential impact of the size of the first generation stars on the size and composition of planets. The individual is seeking a better understanding of the early development of stars and planets and acknowledges that their questions may not be fully formed. A potential scenario for the formation of "pure" gas giants is also mentioned, but it is noted that without rocky cores, they may not survive supernovae.
Cosmo Novice
Can anyone give me a rough idea of a timescale for first planets in the Universe?

I understand that supernovae are required for heavy elements for rocky planets such as Mars or earth, but was wondering if this same requirements would hold for gas giants?

Just trying to establish the most likely oldest planetary world types. Also were the first generation stars supposed to be larger so would this effect planetary size and composition?

I am just trying to get a clearer image of the early development of star and planetary formation so apologies my questions are not particularly well formed. I am mainly looking to extend my mental image of expansion and development of the early matter U.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
IMHO, you would get a range of 'pure' gas-giants formed along with the first stars. However, the 'Brown Dwarf' variety might not get a chance to burn through their lithium before they were blasted by nearby supernovae. Without rocky cores, even they'd just evaporate...

1. What is the current understanding of how the first planets formed in the universe?

The current understanding is that the first planets in the universe formed through a process called accretion, where small particles of dust and gas clumped together to form larger bodies.

2. How long ago did the first planets form in the universe?

The first planets are estimated to have formed around 13.5 billion years ago, not long after the Big Bang.

3. What elements were present in the first planets formed in the universe?

The first planets were composed mainly of hydrogen and helium, the two most abundant elements in the early universe. However, as stars formed and died, heavier elements were created and incorporated into the planets.

4. How were the first planets different from planets in our current solar system?

The first planets were much larger and more massive than the planets in our current solar system. They also likely had very different compositions due to the lack of heavier elements at the time of their formation.

5. Is there any evidence of the first planets still existing?

It is unlikely that any of the first planets formed in the universe still exist. However, scientists have found evidence of the building blocks of these planets, such as ancient stars and gas clouds, in our current universe.