Information on Sulfur hexafluoride?

In summary: I've never encountered any of this before.I just read on Wiki that it is the most damaging greenhouse gas known, a factor 26,000 worse than carbon dioxide, plus an average atmospheric lifetime of 3,200 years. Wow! And they release it during magnesium production! Next one telling me something about cars gets better prepared for a loud veto.I wonder which amount is actually released per year.Mass of atmosphere = 5 x 10∧18 (where in the h*** have the sub/superscripts gone) kg, x 400 ppm carbon dioxide = 2 x 10∧12 tons; got a loonnngggg way to go before 10∧4 tons/a registers.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Anybody know more about this? It is in DISCUSSION forums since I do not see any decent references on the subject. Maybe I'm having a bad day...

##SF_{6}## -
Prevents fires from electrical shorts, used in high kVa distribution lines - at connection points, substations, and "ties" Apparently it has a tremendous greenhouse gas potential - on the order of 20K per molar mass unit (?do not know) greater than methane:

<snip>... It is 23,500 times more warming than carbon dioxide (CO2). ...<snip>
---- https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49567197

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas - mentions ##SF_{6}##:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_hexafluoride - this states 10000 tons of the gas are synthesized every year.

I've never encountered any of this before.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I just read on Wiki that it is the most damaging greenhouse gas known, a factor 26,000 worse than carbon dioxide, plus an average atmospheric lifetime of 3,200 years. Wow! And they release it during magnesium production! Next one telling me something about cars gets better prepared for a loud veto.

They also said it had been used in tires, insulated glazing and sport shoes. I wonder which amount is actually released per year.

Mass of atmosphere = 5 x 10∧18 (where in the h*** have the sub/superscripts gone) kg, x 400 ppm carbon dioxide = 2 x 10∧12 tons; got a loonnngggg way to go before 10∧4 tons/a registers.

SF6 is a low conductivity, inert gas used as a gas insulator in a lot of large-scale electrical applications. Maybe @anorlunda knows more about it.

Fun fact about SF6: it’s much much heavier than air and non-toxic. As a result, if a large quantity is inhaled (NB—I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS), it does essentially the opposite to one’s voice that helium does.

Likes jim mcnamara and Bystander
@Bystander I think the total loss due to leakage is not even as great as you mention. Where did you get the ##10^4## tons?
@TeethWhitener - so the density means that residual ##SF_{6}## remains in some lower alveoli displacing ##CO_{2}## ?

@Bystander - you can use latex for subscripts or turn on bbcode to get the "sub" tags.

jim mcnamara said:
this states 10000 tons of the gas
jim mcnamara said:
the 10410410^4 tons?
From you. It's a reasonable upper limit; switchgear isn't built to collect/recycle the stuff.
jim mcnamara said:
turn on bbcode
Thank you.

Now is the time for all good men to come to aid of the sly brown fox jumping quickly over the lazy dog. CO2 + SF6, 1018 kg

TeethWhitener said:
Fun fact about SF6: it’s much much heavier than air and non-toxic. As a result, if a large quantity is inhaled (NB—I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS), it does essentially the opposite to one’s voice that helium does.
It´ s suffocating (like all gases other than O2) and it´ s narcotic (like most heavy gases).
It is not the densest gas (that´ s WF6, which is reactive and poisonous), but it is the densest common one. The densest nontoxic gases seem to be the isomers of perfluorobutane.

There are also some other sulfur compounds that are about as nontoxic as ##H_2 O##, first ones to come to mind are dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).

jim mcnamara said:
so the density means that residual SF6SF6SF_{6} remains in some lower alveoli displacing CO2CO2CO_{2} ?
I’ve heard this is a myth perpetuated by more senior grad students to get their juniors to stand on their heads to remove residual SF6, but I really wouldn’t know anything about that...:wink:

• Haha
Likes jim mcnamara, Borek and Bystander
hilbert2 said:
There are also some other sulfur compounds that are about as nontoxic as ##H_2 O##, first ones to come to mind are dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).
The problem with DMSO is it acts as a carrier to transport other chemicals thru the skin. Great I suppose if you want an infusion of <?> without a needle stick.

Likes hilbert2
Yeah, in some organic syntheses a DMSO solution of sodium cyanide is used as a reagent, and then you need double airtight safety gloves and other protective apparel.

1. What is sulfur hexafluoride?

Sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) is a colorless, odorless, non-toxic, and non-flammable gas commonly used in electrical equipment and as a tracer gas for leak detection. It is composed of one sulfur atom and six fluorine atoms, giving it the chemical formula SF6.

2. How is sulfur hexafluoride used?

Sulfur hexafluoride is primarily used as an insulating gas in high-voltage electrical equipment, such as circuit breakers and switchgear. It is also used in the production of semiconductors and as a tracer gas in medical and environmental applications.

3. Is sulfur hexafluoride harmful to the environment?

While sulfur hexafluoride is not harmful to the environment on its own, it is a potent greenhouse gas with a global warming potential 23,500 times higher than carbon dioxide. As such, its use is regulated and efforts are being made to reduce its emissions.

4. How is sulfur hexafluoride transported and stored?

Sulfur hexafluoride is typically transported in cylinders as a compressed gas. It should be stored in a cool, well-ventilated area and handled with caution due to its high pressure. Proper safety precautions should be taken when handling and storing SF6.

5. Can sulfur hexafluoride be safely disposed of?

Sulfur hexafluoride is a non-toxic gas and can be safely disposed of by releasing it into the atmosphere. However, due to its high global warming potential, it is important to minimize its use and properly recycle or dispose of any unused SF6 gas.