1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infrastructure Life Expectancy: Frequency Distribution?

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    I'm currently working on a costing model for water storage tanks. The type of tanks I'm looking at have a certain life expectancy but due to a limited number of installations there isn't much empirical (observed) data about how long they can actually be expected to last before needing replacement.

I have collected estimates from a number of manufacturers who have each given an expected range of life expectances. Generally these are between about 25-50 years, as shown below:

[​IMG]

Now what I'd like to do is build some sort of Monte Carlo simulation algorithm using the data in the table above. But I am not sure how to translate that data into a frequency distribution. Does anyone know a formula that I can plug the above numbers into in order to be able to get some kind of frequency distribution? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Any ideas appreciated. :)

Cheers
    -Rob

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You might want to post this question in the math forum. It may get more responses. I guess the place I would start is just to calculate the mean and SD of each and plot a standard deviation curve for each range. I did a quick histogram and the distributions don't look normally distributed though. This is where someone well versed in stats can really help. With such a small sample to pull from, what assumptions can be made that are valid?

4. Apr 25, 2007 #3
    Thanks, I've reposted in the General Math forum as advised.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1313697#post1313697

With regards to assumptions, I can't really make any...this is the only data that's available so I don't have much choice other than to work with a small sample and assume that the data is reasonably accurate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?