Inleastic collision with unknown mass

In summary, the two objects collided and stuck together. Their final velocity was positive though they were moving to the right.
Solemony

Homework Statement

Two objects collide on a horizontal frictionless surface. Object 1 comes from the left with mass .753kg and initial velocity of -.28m/s collides with object 2 moving from the right with an unknown mass and an initial velocity of .28m/s. They stick together when collided and moved to the right. The final velocity of object 1 is .2121m/s and velocity of object 2 is .292m/s. Find mass of object 2.

Homework Equations

M1V01+M1V02=M1Vf1+M2Vf2
M1(Vf1-V01)/V02-Vf2=M2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this and got an answer of 30.879 as the mass but the correct answer was .648kg. I'm not sure which step I'm doing wrong because I have gone over several times and see if it was just algebra mistake but it wasn't and still got a really big number. Could someone give some pointers what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solemony said:
They stick together when collided and moved to the right. The final velocity of object 1 is .2121m/s and velocity of object 2 is .292m/s. Find mass of object 2.
That doesn't sound right. The two objects should have the same final velocity if they stick together as a result of the collision.

It does but the information was given from two objects moving on an air track passing through a photogate.

Please write the problem as it appears in your textbook.

This is actually coming from a lab I did a few days ago so it's not in any textbooks... So that's why I'm really confused about this.

According to your description an object moving from left to right has a negative velocity, and an object moving from right to left has a positive velocity. That's fine; you are free to choose your axes any way you wish. So +x is in the leftward direction.

But then you say that the final velocities of the objects are positive yet they are moving to the right. How can that be when objects moving to the right should have a negative velocity?

A collision can be inelastic without the bodies sticking together. When they stick it's a Perfectly Inelastic collision. The imperfect version deals with coefficients of restitution to model the amount of "bounce" that occurs in the collision. Somehow I doubt that this is what's intended here.

Perhaps you'd best describe your lab setup in more detail. Include a diagram if you can. Did the objects actually stick together? If so, by what mechanism?

What is an inelastic collision with unknown mass?

An inelastic collision with unknown mass is a type of collision where two objects collide and stick together, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy. The mass of one of the objects involved in the collision is unknown, making it difficult to calculate the exact energy transfer during the collision.

How is the mass of one object determined in an inelastic collision with unknown mass?

The mass of one object can be determined by using the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. By measuring the momentum of the other object and the resulting combined momentum after the collision, the mass of the unknown object can be calculated.

What are the limitations of using the conservation of momentum equation in an inelastic collision with unknown mass?

The conservation of momentum equation assumes that the collision is happening in a closed system, meaning that there are no external forces acting on the objects. In real-world scenarios, this may not always be the case, making it difficult to accurately calculate the mass of the unknown object using this equation.

What are some real-world applications of inelastic collisions with unknown mass?

Inelastic collisions with unknown mass are commonly observed in car accidents, where the total mass of the vehicles involved may not be known. This type of collision is also used in the field of ballistics, where the mass of a bullet can be determined by measuring the momentum of the target and the resulting combined momentum after impact.

How does the coefficient of restitution affect an inelastic collision with unknown mass?

The coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the elasticity of a collision, can affect the outcome of an inelastic collision with unknown mass. A higher coefficient of restitution means that the objects involved in the collision will bounce off each other with more energy, resulting in a larger change in kinetic energy and making it more difficult to accurately determine the mass of the unknown object.