Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner product with maximally entangled state

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    Consider the maximum inner product of a density operator with a maximally entangled state. (So, given a density operator, we're maximizing over all maximally entangled states.)

I'm pretty sure the minimum value (a lower bound on the maximum) for this is 1/n2, using the density operator 1/n2 identity. How can I prove that is the minimum?

Thanks!
    Reuben

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2011 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

can you please write down the density operator you are talking about; and what you mean by 'maximum inner product of a density operator with a maximally entangled state'.

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3
    Sorry I realize that was a little incomplete. Let [itex]\mathcal{X}[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{Y}[/itex] be complex Euclidean spaces with dim([itex]\mathcal{X}[/itex])=dim([itex]\mathcal{Y}[/itex])=n.

Define

[itex]
    M(\rho) = \max\left\{<u u^{\ast},\rho>\,:\,u\in\mathcal{X}\otimes\mathcal{Y}\;\text{is maximally entangled}
    \right\}
    [/itex]

for any density operator [itex]\rho[/itex] on [itex]\mathcal{X}\otimes\mathcal{Y}[/itex].

For [itex]\rho=\frac{1}{n^2}\text{I}[/itex] we get [itex]M=\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex]

How can I show that that is the minimum value of [itex]M[/itex] over all possible density operators [itex]\rho[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook