Feynman's Lectures volume III (Ch:8) -- Resolution of vector states

In summary, the section discusses the inner product of two state vectors and its relation to time evolution. The inner product is defined and the amplitude to go from state |\phi\rangle to \langle \chi | is given. The concept of time evolution of the state is introduced and the evolution of the state is described in terms of the explicit time dependence of the coefficients C_i (t). Finally, it is mentioned that the equation for the amplitude also holds for an operator between two states.
Ishika_96_sparkles
TL;DR Summary
Regarding to the 'resolution of vector states' and the "waiting operator" connecting two states.
In the section 8-2 dealing with resolving the state vectors, we learn that

[tex]|\phi \rangle =\sum_i C_i | i \rangle [/tex]​

and the dual vector is defined as

[tex]\langle \chi | =\sum_j D^*_j \langle j |[/tex]​
Then, the an inner product is defined as

[tex]\langle \chi | \phi \rangle =\sum_{ij} D^*_j C_i \langle j | i \rangle = \sum_{ij} D^*_j C_i \delta_{ij}[/tex]​
This is defined as the amplitude to go from state

[tex]| \phi \rangle \rightarrow \langle \chi |[/tex]​

later, we encounter the concept of time evolution of the state in sec. 8-3 i.e.

[tex]\langle \chi |U(t_2,t_1)| \phi \rangle[/tex]​

implying that an operator (time dependent) is involved and is defined as

[tex]\langle i|U(t_2,t_1)| j \rangle[/tex]​

meaning that this operator links the base states [itex]| j \rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle i|[/itex] in the time interval [itex]\Delta t= t_2-t_1[/itex].

We are told that the evolution of the state vector is via the explicit time dependence of the coefficients [itex]C_i (t)[/itex] while the basis vectors are constant.

Q1) The previous inner product as defined in the sec. 8-2 had no involvement of the change over time of the state vectors. Then how does one state changes to the other, instantly? Should it be understood in terms of the usual mathematical projection operation? Then in that case, the sentence "...the amplitude to go from [itex]|\phi\rangle [/itex] to [itex] \langle \chi | [/itex]..." is just the magnitude/extent of the projection of one state over the other state?

Q2) Does an operator like [itex]\langle i|U(r_2,r_1)| j \rangle[/itex] between the two states make any sense? If not then why not? If yes, then could it be considered some sort of spatial evolution operator? and in that case, what would the spatial variation or the spatial derivative of the Hamiltonian matrix [itex]\frac{d H_{ij}}{d r_2}[/itex] imply? Then, the coefficients will have explicit dependence over the space i.e. [itex]C_i (x)[/itex]. [Motivation: ψ(r,t) i.e. the wave-function.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ishika_96_sparkles said:
Q1) The previous inner product as defined in the sec. 8-2 had no involvement of the change over time of the state vectors.
You simply need to consider the states at a given time ##t##.

Ishika_96_sparkles said:
Then how does one state changes to the other, instantly? Should it be understood in terms of the usual mathematical projection operation? Then in that case, the sentence "...the amplitude to go from [itex]|\phi\rangle [/itex] to [itex] \langle \chi | [/itex]..." is just the magnitude/extent of the projection of one state over the other state?
Yes and no. Mathematically, it is simply an inner product, as in regular linear algebra. However, physics adds the concept of measurement. Should a measurement be performed on ##| \psi \rangle##, then the probability of finding the system in state ##| \chi \rangle## is ##| \langle \chi | \psi \rangle##, provided that ##| \chi \rangle## is a possible outcome of that measurement (an eigenstate of the corresponding measurement operator).
Ishika_96_sparkles said:
Q2) Does an operator like [itex]\langle i|U(r_2,r_1)| j \rangle[/itex] between the two states make any sense?
What you wrote there is not an operator, but an amplitude. ##U(r_2,r_1)## alone is the operator.

Ishika_96_sparkles said:
If not then why not? If yes, then could it be considered some sort of spatial evolution operator? and in that case, what would the spatial variation or the spatial derivative of the Hamiltonian matrix [itex]\frac{d H_{ij}}{d r_2}[/itex] imply? Then, the coefficients will have explicit dependence over the space i.e. [itex]C_i (x)[/itex]. [Motivation: ψ(r,t) i.e. the wave-function.]
I don't understand what you are getting at here.

Thank you for your answer.

DrClaude said:
However, physics adds the concept of measurement. Should a measurement be performed on |ψ⟩, then the probability of finding the system in state |χ⟩ is |⟨χ|ψ⟩| provided that |χ⟩| is a possible outcome of that measurement (an eigenstate of the corresponding measurement operator).

So, is this what it means? If we have a state [itex]|\psi \rangle [/itex] and we take the following inner product
[tex] \langle \psi| \hat{\mathbf{r}}| \psi \rangle [/tex]
then,we would get the probability to find the system in a certain position Eigenstate [itex]| \mathbf{r} \rangle [/itex], after making a measurement on the state? where, we could write [itex] \langle \psi | \hat{\mathbf{r}} [/itex] as [itex]\langle \chi | [/itex].
DrClaude said:
I don't understand what you are getting at here.

Since, the wave-function is given by [itex]\psi(r,t)[/itex], then just as there is an operator of time evolution of the state, could we not have something that ``''spatially evolves'' the states across the state space? Like some spatial evolution of the states facilitated by an operator [itex]U(r_2,r_1)[/itex] i.e. in some interval [itex]\Delta r[/itex]. This is just an attempt to make an analogy with the time evolution operator. Here, the operator connects two states existing at two different points in state space.

My question is, as to whether this kind of operator is physically meaningful?

The rest of the mathematical relations given are just put in 1-to-1 correspondence with the derivations given in sec. 8-3 for the time evolution operator but with variable 't' replaced by the variable 'r'.

Ishika_96_sparkles said:
So, is this what it means? If we have a state [itex]|\psi \rangle [/itex] and we take the following inner product
[tex] \langle \psi| \hat{\mathbf{r}}| \psi \rangle [/tex]
then,we would get the probability to find the system in a certain position Eigenstate [itex]| \mathbf{r} \rangle [/itex], after making a measurement on the state? where, we could write [itex] \langle \psi | \hat{\mathbf{r}} [/itex] as [itex]\langle \chi | [/itex].
Mathematically, this works, but physically, some of the meaning is lost. The expectation value of an operator over an arbitrary state ##| \psi \rangle## is
$$
\langle O \rangle = \langle \psi | \hat{O} | \psi \rangle
$$
so there is a connection with actual experiments: if you measure ##O## on an ensemble of identical systems prepared in state ##| \psi \rangle##, the average of the measurements will be ##\langle O \rangle##.

You could define a state ##| \chi \rangle \equiv \hat{O} | \psi \rangle## and then calculate the probability of finding the system in state ##| \chi \rangle##, but unless ##\psi \rangle## is an eigenstate of ##\hat{O}##, there is no way to make a link with what can be observed in an experiment.
Ishika_96_sparkles said:
Since, the wave-function is given by [itex]\psi(r,t)[/itex], then just as there is an operator of time evolution of the state, could we not have something that ``''spatially evolves'' the states across the state space? Like some spatial evolution of the states facilitated by an operator [itex]U(r_2,r_1)[/itex] i.e. in some interval [itex]\Delta r[/itex]. This is just an attempt to make an analogy with the time evolution operator. Here, the operator connects two states existing at two different points in state space.

My question is, as to whether this kind of operator is physically meaningful?

The rest of the mathematical relations given are just put in 1-to-1 correspondence with the derivations given in sec. 8-3 for the time evolution operator but with variable 't' replaced by the variable 'r'.
To make continuous transformations of the state, you can build unitary operators ##\hat{U}(s)## using the prescription
$$
\hat{U}(s) \equiv e^{i \hat{K} s}
$$
where ##\hat{K}## is a Hermitian operator, known as the generator of the transformation, and ##s## is some continuous parameter. In some cases, these transformations end up having a special significance. Taking the parameter as time ##t##, to construct the operator that takes the state from time ##t_1## to ##t_2##, it turns out that the generator is ##\hat{K} = - \hat{H} / \hbar##, i.e., the Hamiltonian is the generator of time translation, and recover the time evolution operator that you know.

What you are after is the generator of translation in space, which turns out to be
$$
\hat{K} = -\frac{\hat{\mathbf{p}}}{\hbar}
$$
such that the translation operator is
$$
\hat{T}(\Delta \mathbf{r}) \equiv \exp \left[- \frac{i \hat{\mathbf{p}} \cdot \Delta \mathbf{r}}{\hbar} \right],
$$
i.e.,
$$
\hat{T}(\Delta \mathbf{r}) \psi(\mathbf{r}) = \psi(\mathbf{r} + \Delta \mathbf{r})
$$
so momentum is the generator of translation in space.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Ishika_96_sparkles
I had arrived at a similar conclusion that momentum will come into picture for such an operator.

Now i could see in
[tex]
\hat{T}(\Delta \mathbf{r}) \equiv \exp \left[- \frac{i \hat{\mathbf{p}} \cdot \Delta \mathbf{r}}{\hbar} \right]
[/tex]

[itex]\hat{\mathbf{p}} \rightarrow -\iota \hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial r}[/itex] would give such a condition.

Last edited:

1. What is the main focus of Feynman's Lectures Volume III Chapter 8?

The main focus of Chapter 8 is to explain the concept of resolution of vector states, which is a technique used in quantum mechanics to break down a vector into its component parts.

2. Why is it important to understand the resolution of vector states?

Understanding the resolution of vector states is important because it allows us to analyze and manipulate quantum systems more effectively. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

3. How does Feynman explain the concept of resolution of vector states?

Feynman uses a geometric approach to explain the concept of resolution of vector states. He introduces the idea of a "state vector" and shows how it can be broken down into a combination of other vectors through a process called "projection".

4. What are some practical applications of the resolution of vector states?

The resolution of vector states has many practical applications in various fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and particle physics. It is used to analyze and manipulate quantum systems, as well as to make predictions about the behavior of particles in experiments.

5. Are there any limitations to the resolution of vector states?

Yes, there are some limitations to the resolution of vector states. One limitation is that it only applies to quantum systems that are in a pure state, meaning they have a well-defined state vector. It also does not take into account any external factors that may affect the system, such as measurement or interaction with other particles.