Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can neutrinos travel faster than light?

Tags:
  1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone
    This is my first post and I am interested in the question about neutrinos... I have many questions that I would love to have answered but I'll stick to the question of whether they can travel faster than light or not... ( please bear with me as I am returning to physics after a long absence )

Thank you
    Ysara

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No, neutrinos do not travel faster than the speed of light.

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

No, they do not travel faster than the speed of light. And if you're thinking about the OPERA anomaly in 2011, the experiment results were errors due to a faulty timing system (press release here (CERN), paper here).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  5. Sep 28, 2013 #4
    Thank you both for your replies. :)

6. Oct 28, 2013 #5
    There were experiments that said they could, but these turned out to be due to errors in the experiment setup.

7. Oct 28, 2013 #6

phinds

Gold Member

When responding in a thread, it's wise to read all the previous responses. You have simply said the same thing as DennisN, but not as well.

8. Nov 7, 2013 #7
    No matter can go faster than the speed of light. But the the experiment that DennisN talked about did shock a few people :D

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook