Instability of hydrogen ground state if the time-reversal operator is unitary

In summary, the time-reversal operator ##T## must be anti-unitary in order to avoid instability of the ground state of hydrogen. This is because if ##T## is unitary, it would imply that the energy spectrum has a lower bound, which is not the case for a free particle or an electron in a Coulomb potential. Therefore, the time-reversal operator must be anti-unitary in order to maintain time-reversal symmetry.
ergospherical
Apparently if we try to represent the time reversal operator by a unitary operator ##T## satisfying ##U(t)T = TU(-t)##, then the ground state of hydrogen (the hamiltonian of which is time-reversal invariant) is unstable. But if ##T## is anti-unitary (i.e. ##\langle a | T^{\dagger} T | b \rangle = \langle a | b \rangle^*##) then the instability is avoided. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
Apparently
According to ...?

I guess ##U(t)=\exp(-\mathrm{i} H t)## is the time-evolution operator (for the states in the Schrödinger picture). If you want to have
$$U(-t)=\exp(\mathrm{i} t H) = T^{\dagger} U(t) T = \exp[T^{\dagger} (-\mathrm{i} t H) \hat{T}],$$
you must have
$$T^{\dagger} (-\mathrm{i} t H) \hat{T}=+\mathrm{i} t H.$$
Since ##t \in \mathbb{R}## for both ##T## unitary or antiunitary that implies
$$T^{\dagger} i H T=-\mathrm{i} H.$$
If ##T## where unitary, that would imply that ##T^{\dagger} H T=-H##, which implies that for any eigenvalue ##E## of ##H## also ##-E## must be an eigenvector:
$$H T |E \rangle=T T^{\dagger} H T |E \rangle=-T H |E \rangle=-E T |E \rangle,$$
i.e., indeed ##T|E \rangle## is an eigenvector of eigenvalue ##(-E)##. Since now the energy spectrum for a free particle (or that of an electron in presence of a Coulomb potential) has a lower bound, ##T## cannot be a symmetry operator if realized as a unitary operator, which implies that time-reversal symmetry must be realized by an anti-unitary symmetry operator.

Likes strangerep, ergospherical and dextercioby

1. What is the "instability of hydrogen ground state"?

The "instability of hydrogen ground state" refers to the phenomenon where the ground state of a hydrogen atom becomes unstable when the time-reversal operator is unitary. This means that the ground state of the atom is no longer the lowest energy state and can transition to a higher energy state.

2. What is the time-reversal operator?

The time-reversal operator is a mathematical operator that describes the reversal of time in a physical system. It is denoted as T and can be applied to various physical quantities such as position, momentum, and spin.

3. Why does the time-reversal operator affect the stability of the hydrogen ground state?

The time-reversal operator affects the stability of the hydrogen ground state because it introduces a symmetry breaking in the system. This symmetry breaking allows for the ground state to transition to a higher energy state, leading to the instability of the ground state.

4. How does the instability of the hydrogen ground state impact our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The instability of the hydrogen ground state challenges our understanding of quantum mechanics because it suggests that the laws of quantum mechanics may not be time-reversal invariant. This has implications for our understanding of fundamental physical principles and may require new theories to explain this phenomenon.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying the instability of the hydrogen ground state?

While there are currently no direct practical applications, studying the instability of the hydrogen ground state can provide insights into the behavior of other quantum systems. It also allows for a deeper understanding of fundamental physical principles and could potentially lead to new technologies or applications in the future.