1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous Velocity Car Problem

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    A car is stopped at a traffic light. It then travels along a straight road so that its distance from the light is given by x(t)= bt^2 -ct^3, where b = 2.40m/s^2 and c = 0.120 m/s^3. How do you calculate the average velocity of the car for the time interval t=0 to t=10.

I think that maybe I need to take the derivative of the equation but then what please help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello mopar969,
    If you only need to find the average velocity, simply calculate the total distance traveled, divided by the time it takes to get there.
  4. Sep 18, 2010 #3
    Thank you. I cant believe that it was that simple. I was thinking instantaneous velocity that is why I was thinking about taking its derivative.
    However, the question has another part to it that I am stuck on it says:

How long after stating from rest is the car again at rest? Please Help and Thanks.
  5. Sep 18, 2010 #4
    You're searching the time t when the velocity is 0.

x(t)= bt^2 -ct^3, this finds the displacement as a function of time. You'll need another equation (related to this one) to find the velocity as a function of time.
  6. Sep 18, 2010 #5
    Would I need the derivative of the displacement function?
  7. Sep 18, 2010 #6
    Yes that would give you the velocity.
  8. Sep 18, 2010 #7
    My next problem is how do I get t by itself?
  9. Sep 18, 2010 #8
    Never mind I realized that I could use the quadratic formula.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook