1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous Velocity statement

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "If instantaneous velocity = 0, it is possible to have a non-zero acceleration."

Why is this true? I'm having a hard time understanding this.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    What causes objects to move?

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    Hey Joe! I believe that this question should not quite be in the Homework questions but I may be wrong anyway, although my answer will be just like it would if it was there. You're gonna have to picture a moving body that is decelerating, which means that |a|=/= 0 and so it's speed its decreasing, meaning that the length of the velocity vector is getting smaller and smaller. At some point velocity becomes 0, and that is the point where the acceleration pushes the body to go backwards and stops it momentarily, and after that moment the body is moving backwards with increasing speed. The velocity vector now is counter to what it was before, with increasing length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook