Insulation=> simple problem just confused a bit.

In summary, the problem is asking for the amount of energy required to increase the temperature of the diatomic gas by 1.00C. The equations used are Q = mCvΔT = constant V and ΔU = Q, where Cv = 5R/2. Additionally, the problem asks for the mass of an object that can be lifted using this energy through a height of 2.00m. The equation used is ΔPE = mgh.
~christina~
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A house has well insulated walls. It contains a vol of 100m^3 of air at 300K

a) calculate the E required to increase the T of the diatomic gas by 1.00C

b) If this E could be used to lift an object of mass m through a height of 2.00m what is the mass of m?

Homework Equations

[tex]Q=m C_v \Delta T[/tex]= > constant V
[tex]\Delta U= Q [/tex]
[tex]C_v= 5R/2 [/tex]

[tex]Q=mC_p \Delta T [/tex]=> constant P
[tex]\Delta U= Q + W= nC_p \Delta T + (-P\Delta V) [/tex]
[tex]C_p= 7R/2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)calculate the E required to increase the T of the diatomic gas by 1.00C

I would think that the insulation would make the volume be constant but that's what I'm not sure about. (I was thinking that the temperature would be constant but if they ask how much E is needed to raise the temperature then it can't be that the temperature would be the same...)

b) b) If this E could be used to lift an object of mass m through a height of 2.00m what is the mass of m?
would I just use [tex] \Delta PE= mgh [/tex]and find m ?

Help please..

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can someone help me please?

I have a quiz and if no one does then I'll be forced to assume that the volume doesn't change even if it may be incorrect. :frown:

I would first clarify the problem by asking for more information. Specifically, I would ask what type of insulation is being used in the walls of the house, as different types of insulation have different thermal properties and can affect the calculations. I would also ask for the specific heat capacity of the air in the house, as this will be needed to calculate the energy required to increase the temperature.

Once I have this information, I would use the equations provided to calculate the energy required to increase the temperature of the air by 1.00C. This would involve using the specific heat capacity at constant volume, as the volume is stated to be constant in the problem.

For part b, I would use the equation for change in potential energy to calculate the mass of the object that could be lifted using the energy calculated in part a. I would also take into consideration the efficiency of the insulation in retaining the heat, as this would affect the amount of energy available for lifting the object.

What is insulation and why is it important?

Insulation is a material that is used to reduce the transfer of heat or sound. It is important because it helps to regulate the temperature inside a building, making it more comfortable and energy-efficient.

What are the different types of insulation?

There are several types of insulation, including fiberglass, cellulose, foam, and spray foam. Each type has its own benefits and is suitable for different applications.

How do I know which type of insulation is best for my home?

The type of insulation that is best for your home depends on factors such as the climate you live in, the type of structure, and your budget. It is recommended to consult with a professional to determine the best option for your specific needs.

How can I improve the insulation in my home?

There are several ways to improve the insulation in your home. You can add insulation to your walls, attic, and floors. You can also seal any gaps or cracks where air can escape. Additionally, using energy-efficient windows and doors can also help improve insulation.

What are the benefits of having proper insulation?

Proper insulation can provide several benefits, such as reducing energy costs, improving indoor comfort, reducing noise, and increasing the overall value of your home. It also helps to reduce the carbon footprint and contributes to a more sustainable environment.