Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrability and Lipschitz continuity

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    (I've been lighting this board up recently; sorry about that. I've been thinking about a lot of things, and my professors all generally have better things to do or are out of town.)

Is there an easy way to show that if [itex]f[/itex] is Lipschitz (on all of [itex]\mathbb R[/itex]), then

[tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^\infty f^2(x) e^{-\frac{x^2}{2t}}dx < \infty \quad ?
    [/tex]

I've tried a number of different approaches - boundedness of the derivative and integration by parts, bounded/dominated/monotone convergence theorem, approximation of [itex]f^2[/itex] by polynomials - but I haven't gotten any of them to work. Apparently, just because [itex]f[/itex] is Lipschitz doesn't mean [itex]f^2[/itex] is Lipschitz. (Just look at [itex]f(x) = x[/itex].)

Can anyone think of a Lipschitz function for which the integral above is infinite?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They only thing I can think of that you haven't tried yet is going back to definitions.
    For example, when you write out the integral as the limit of a Riemann sum, you will probably get summands like
    [tex]|f^2(x + \Delta x) e^{-(x + \Delta x)^2 / 2t} - f^2(x) e^{-x^2/2t}| \le \cdots \le |f(x + \Delta x)|^2 e^{-x^2/2t} \le (K {\Delta x})^2 e^{-x^2/2t}[/tex]
    and eventually, maybe, rewrite it to
    [tex]\cdots \le C \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2/2t} \, dx[/tex]
    or something else for which you know it is finite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook