Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral from 0 to ∞ with singularity at x=0

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    Here's an integral that is currently giving me grey hairs:

[itex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x} \exp(i \frac{k}{x}(a-c \cos(\theta + wx))) dx[/itex]

I've tried different approaches like contour integration around [itex] x=0 [/itex] and replacing the exponential by its Taylor sum to have:

[itex]\int_0^{\infty} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^{n+1}\;n!} (i k (a-c \cos(\theta + wx)))^n dx[/itex]

I can do the integrals of the even terms by [itex]\int_0^{\infty} = \frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}[/itex] and residues, but I don't know how to handle the odd terms.

Going to sum-extremes I've rewritten the integral to a form where I only need to do integrals of the type

[itex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^{n+1}} e^{imwx} dx [/itex]

with m a positive or negative integer, but even here I'm stuck. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2013 #2

rollingstein

Gold Member

Maybe this is a stupid question, but is the integration over the real axis?

4. Feb 2, 2013 #3
    Yes, x is real. But since the integrand goes to zero for [itex]x\rightarrow \infty [/itex] the direction of integration in the complex plane shouldn't alter the integral...

5. Feb 2, 2013 #4
    Hmm.
    Is it possible that the latter of the three integrals is simply the gamma-function?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook