Why do I get -21 instead of 29 for the integral of sqrt((2t-10)^2) from 0 to 7?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MeMoses
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
MeMoses
Messages
127
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Ok part of my math homework leads me to do this integral
The integral from 0 to 7 of sqrt((2t-10)^2) dt

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



The answer is 29, but I can only seem to get -21. I have it = integral of (2t-10)dt, so then I get t^2 - 10t from 0 to 7 = 49-70 = -21. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MeMoses said:

Homework Statement



Ok part of my math homework leads me to do this integral
The integral from 0 to 7 of sqrt((2t-10)^2) dt

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



The answer is 29, but I can only seem to get -21. I have it = integral of (2t-10)dt, so then I get t^2 - 10t from 0 to 7 = 49-70 = -21. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

If f(t) = sqrt(2t-10)^2), what is f(0)? If g(t) = 2t-10, what is g(0)?

RGV
 
Do i need an absolute value somewhere? If I don't simplify as I did and solve with substitution I still get (t-5)**2 from 0 to 7 which still yields -21. Where am I going wrong?
 
MeMoses said:
Do i need an absolute value somewhere? If I don't simplify as I did and solve with substitution I still get (t-5)**2 from 0 to 7 which still yields -21. Where am I going wrong?

In my first reply I asked you a question. You still have not answered it. (BTW: I asked for a very good reason!)

RGV
 
OK, so what can you learn from that? Do you, or do you not need to use absolute values?

RGV
 
i just ended up using x**2 = x*sqrt(x*2), so it keeps its sign and everything works out
 
MeMoses said:
i just ended up using x**2 = x*sqrt(x*2), so it keeps its sign and everything works out

It sounds like you are trying to avoid the basic issue, which comes up over and over again and so is best dealt with now, once and for all. The point is:
[tex]\text{for any real number }r, \; \sqrt{r^2} = |r|.[/tex]

RGV