Integral involving normal pdf and cdf

In summary, the conversation is about an expression for the integral of the standard normal pdf and cdf, φ(x) and Φ(x), from 0 to infinity. The integral has been previously obtained by Gupta and Pillai in a technical report, with the result equal to Φ(b/sqrt(1+a^2)). It is mentioned that the exponent of the integrand can be converted into a form that allows for the described result. However, there is confusion over how this result was obtained when integrating from -infinity to infinity. One suggestion is to differentiate the integrand with respect to b and then re-integrate.
MikeGT
Suppose φ(x) and Φ(x) denote the familiar standard normal pdf and cdf. I am interested in an expression for the integral:

S φ(ax+b) Φ(x) dx, from ZERO to INFINITY.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention something potentially interesting. The integral

S φ(ax+b) Φ(x) dx, from -INFINITY to INFINITY

has been obtained by Gupta and Pillai in a technical report of the 60's as equal to

Φ( b/sqrt(1+a^2) ).

They mention this in a lemma but I cannot see how it was obtained. I checked it numerically and it is true.

Can that be useful?

Best

M

Written explicitly, your expression is

[tex]\int_0^\infty dx~\frac{e^{-(ax+b)^2/2}}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\left[\int_{-\infty}^x dt~\frac{e^{-t^2/2}}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\right][/tex]

Have you tried playing around with the double integral?

The exponent of the integrand is -[x2 + (ax+b)2)]/2. This can then be converted into a form -(cx+d)2 + f, where c,d,f are constants depending on a and b. The integration should give you the described result.

I don't see how they did it when x runs from -INF to +INF. You say the exponent is not -(ax+b)^2 but it is: -[x^2+(ax+b)^2]. Apparently you're taking the extra x^2 term from the dt - integral. But how the combination can produce Φ when they integrate from -inf to +inf? They should get some constant or 1 but not Φ. To get b/sqrt(1+a^2) they do need what you describe above and an integral from 0 to +inf. Am I missing something?

Many thanks for the replies

M

Sorry. I misread your original question. I confused the capital and lower case phi's.

You can solve this by differentiating the integrand with respect to b, then re-integrating.

What is a normal pdf?

A normal pdf (probability density function) is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a continuous random variable. It is often represented by a bell-shaped curve and is commonly used in statistical analysis.

What is a normal cdf?

A normal cdf (cumulative distribution function) is a mathematical function that gives the probability that a random variable is less than or equal to a certain value. It is the integral of the normal pdf and is used to calculate probabilities in a normal distribution.

How are the normal pdf and cdf related?

The normal pdf and cdf are closely related as the cdf is the integral of the pdf. This means that the cdf gives the area under the curve of the pdf up to a certain point, and the pdf gives the slope of the cdf at that point.

Why is the normal distribution important in statistics?

The normal distribution is important in statistics because it is a very common distribution seen in natural and social phenomena. It also has many mathematical properties that make it useful for statistical analysis and inference.

How do you solve an integral involving normal pdf and cdf?

To solve an integral involving normal pdf and cdf, you can use various techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or using tables of integrals. Additionally, there are many online calculators or software programs that can solve these integrals for you.