Integral of (1 + [1/2x^(1/2) - 1/2x^(-1/2)]^2)^(1/2) from 0 to 3

  • Thread starter Thread starter carlchen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Stuck
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
carlchen
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
from 0 to 3, ( 1 + [ 1/2x^(1/2) - 1/2x^(-1/2) ]^2 )^(1/2) dx

I started to foil the ^2 term and then tryed to use the u sub, but It doesn't seem to work out. this problem is killing me!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try that again! ((1/2)x1/2- (1/2)x-1/2)1/2=
(1/4)x- 1/2+ (1/4)x-1.

Now, when you add 1 to that you get (1/4)x+ 1/2+ (1/4)x-1. In other words, exactly the same thing except with +1/2 instead of -1/2!

Now that = (what?)2.
 
I think HallsofIvy is saying mess about with the algebra. I did and in a few steps got:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int_0^3 x^{\frac{1}{2}} + x^{-\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex]

But I am not 100% confident on my skills so don't just copy that down.
 
Another proof that you need to be good at algebra in order to be good at calculus.
 
e(ho0n3 said:
Another proof that you need to be good at algebra in order to be good at calculus.

And you have to be good at calculus to be good at differential equations- and you have to be good at differential equations to be good at analysis, It just keeps going!